263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil Springs

Coil Springs

Been reading alot about guys getting lowering springs from more modern cars to fit on their classics, example: Apparently the Ford Aerostar Minivans rear coil springs at $60 are almost exactly the same as the 3" lowering springs that will cost you $220 in all of the catalogs, if this is the case, I wonder what would work on our Buicks....mine is a 52 special, any ideas? If you could search teh NAPA catalog for the diameter of the springs we would be in business.

Quote Originally Posted by 52BuHog View Post
    Been reading alot about guys getting lowering springs from more modern cars to fit on their classics, example: Apparently the Ford Aerostar Minivans rear coil springs at $60 are almost exactly the same as the 3" lowering springs that will cost you $220 in all of the catalogs, if this is the case, I wonder what would work on our Buicks....mine is a 52 special, any ideas? If you could search teh NAPA catalog for the diameter of the springs we would be in business.

As I stated in another thread '79 El Camino springs have the top and bottom pigtails and dropped my '50 4".

Quote Originally Posted by Great ***** of Fire View Post
    As I stated in another thread '79 El Camino springs have the top and bottom pigtails and dropped my '50 4".
    Did you have to do any other mods for clearence etc, or did you just swap out the springs and it was done? I'm looking for an easy way to drop my '52 as well.

I wasn't happy with the drop I got from the El Camino springs, so I cut the top pigtails off and got another 2" drop. I removed the bump stops to provide clearance. In the front I cut 1 1/2 coils to get the same drop and added modern shocks inside the coils.

Springs

GreatBOF, Just got the standard off the shelf 79 el camino springs for the rear and used the stock ones up front and cut them. Had to remove the arms to add the modern shocks then? Got a pic of that?

Quote Originally Posted by 52BuHog View Post
    GreatBOF, Just got the standard off the shelf 79 el camino springs for the rear and used the stock ones up front and cut them. Had to remove the arms to add the modern shocks then? Got a pic of that?
    Sorry no pics, I'll see what I can do. I have not removed the old shocks, front or rear. Modern shocks on the front go inside the coil springs. at the top they're treaded into the center 1/2" bolt hole of the knee shocks (I modified the top of the new shock) and bolted to a couple of heavy plates at the lower control arm. In the rear they go from the axle trailling arms up to the frame part thats behind the rear seat back.

Mark

Are you saying that you got a total of a 6" drop or with the cut coils it gave you a full 4" drop? I guess what I am saying is did the camino coils give you a 4inch drop before or after you cut them?

BuHog, as far as the Aerostar coils giving you a 3inch drop, is that for the Buicks or were your refering to another application? Do you have the year and/or part numbers of the Aerostar coils?

Fryguy

Quote Originally Posted by Great ***** of Fire View Post
    I wasn't happy with the drop I got from the El Camino springs, so I cut the top pigtails off and got another 2" drop. I removed the bump stops to provide clearance. In the front I cut 1 1/2 coils to get the same drop and added modern shocks inside the coils.

I was referring to another application

I read 49 mercs could take the 86 aerostar coils to get 3.3" drop...I haven't bought the camino cooils yet, but priced them and am ready to go for it, seem slike they should work, Napa online has the compressed height and uncompressed height, I want to measure mine and then I am going to pick up a pair. Wouldn't it just be so eay if we had laef springs...cheapo blocks and drop the crap out of it...Oh well, part of the fun of having a Buick.

ok you guys have my interest as well here...
    I want her low, with drivability...
    until I can afford air bags...
    Can you do the camino shocks in the front as well?

A friend had a catalogue of springs and was able to lookup all kinds of spring rates and heights, both leaf and coil. I don,t know if its available anymore but you may be able to go to alignment shops or find interchanges, that would have the info.