-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 52 special

52 special

Anybody lower a buick on a budget? Not looking to do bags, or any notching or anything, but anyone compress, cut, or replace springs to get 2-3" or drop? If so, what was your technique and how did it affect the ride? Does it affect the steering arms on the front?

Les

cut the front and rear springs on my 51 special, using a cut off wheel. droped about 2 1/2 all the way around with absolutely no change in the way it rides.

Cutting Springs

The springs have a small pigtail that sits in a cup on both the top and bottom in the back and on bottom in front, how did you make the spring work when you cut that small coil "Pigtail" off?

Cut off the top pigtail and reinstall with out any problems. I used '79 El Camino rear springs for a perfect 4" drop. I didn't think that was low enough, so I whacked the top pigtail. The weight of the car hold the springs on!! I've driven 1000's of miles with no issues...

you'll want the top end detached anyway or you'll never be able to take the wheels off...

It rides like a lowered car... I had to adjust the front camber all the way in to compensate. It handles better than my 2000 Sliverado on bends...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Great Balls of Fire; 05-08-2008 at 03:41 PM.

you can buy lowered springs with original specs at www.classicbuicks.com
    and bags dont cost much. you can get 4 2600lbs bags for $200 on ebay. a tank for $50. and 2 compressors for $200. front and back control would need only 4 valves at $20 each. i just went that route. i had cut springs, the ride is awful.

cut 2 coils

cut 2 coils all the way around for the slammed look, removed the bumb stops in the front and choped the rears down........total cost...0$ rides good....