-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Need help replacing rear wheel bearing

Need help replacing rear wheel bearing

I need to replace a rear wheel bearing on my 1940 Super. I have a shop manual, but I can't find the procedure.

1. Should I first remove the wheel and brake drum?
    2. If I have to remove the axle shaft, how do I do this?
    3. How should I get the old bearing and race off the shaft?
    Harry

From Motor's 1942 manual:
    Remove wheel and brake drum. Drain lubricant and unfasten differential cover. Remove differential shaft lock screw, pull out differential shaft, and take out spacer block. Rotate ring gear and remove pinions. Push axle shaft in toward differential and remove "C" washer from recess in shaft. Using puller, remove shaft from housing. If both shafts are removed, longer shaft goes on the right side. Using puller, remove bearing and seal as a unit. Note: Shaft end play should not excede .008. Good luck!

thank you

Thank you for the information. I ordered the Parts from Bob's Mememorabilia. I hope I can do this.

If I can do it, anybody can!! If you have an O'Reilly auto parts nearby, they will loan special tools at no cost, such as the axle or bearing puller. They require a hefty deposit, but it will be refunded in full when you return the tools. Just work carefully and take your time.

Changing rear wheel bearing

Change rear wheel bearing
    You really should have a shop manual to give details.
    But basically:
    Jack up car on frame so both rear tires are off the ground but hanging down on the springs. Use two jacks, one on each side
    Obtain new gaskets for banjo housing inner and outer seals, and bearing inner and outer. Bearing runs on race that must be pressed on axle, not heated, if it shows wear.
    Remove banjo housing cover removing bottom bolt first, but taking note where filler plug is located. Three or four oclock.
    While fluid is draining, remove back wheels, and brake drums.
    go into banjo housing and look for a rectangular block, and two C clamps one on each axle housing, remove C clamp and rectangular block. Axles should now be pulled out holding them so they do not drag on the axle seals.
    Remove bolts on backing plate. Remove seal axle bearing, and inner seal.
    Replace inner and outer seal with the bearing.
    When packing bearing, fill the cavity between the bearing and the seals with the same heavy wheel bearing grease as on the bearing.
    Need parts? Bobs Automobilia.com should be able to help.
    Again a manual is suggested before tackling this job.

Rear Wheel Bearing

If you all ready replaced the wheel or axle bearing, save this tip for the next one you do. The inner axle seal should be discarded, just use the outer seal at the bearing. The oil in the housing will lube the new bearing, so you don't have to pack the bearing with grease. You can pack the bearing anyway, but you don't need the inner seal any longer. My Buick rear has been without the inner seals for over thirty years, it will be just fine don't panic!

Repacing rear wheel bearing

I'd think twice before leaving off a seal.. I had to do that on the road, but was warned by several in the know about rear axles, that was not kosher, and the bearing should have both seals. Something about the lubricity of the rear axle lube, and contamination of the bearing with the grease traveling thru the axle housing.

Hey the old guy, what do you think?
    Last edited by Straight Eight; 10-22-2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Correcting name to theoldguy

Rear Axle Bearing

I just past along what I was told I could do by the neighborhood machanic, that was in business for over thirty years. This was the only shop in the Bronx that I would take my Buick for a wheel alignment. My Dad knew this gentleman for many years. He even gave us the heads up on changing a clutch in a Buick without removing the rearend from the car. It's pretty slick!!!

I used to just take the whole axle to a parts house that had a machine shop, bought the bearing and they installed it. Or was that bakntheday? good posts here tho.

Axle Bearings

Yes you are correct! I brought an axle myself to the auto parts to have the old bearing pressed off, and the new bearing pressed on the axle. I had a 1960 Cadillac, that had the bearing on the axle when I removed it. I believe the axle flange had a whole in it, so you could remove the retaining bolts the held the axle in place. You didn't have to remove the cover to remove the axle. The bearing itself held the axle in place, not the "C" clip, because there was no "C" clip. Those bearings were lubed fed from the gear oil. I remember those days too.
    Last edited by Straight80; 10-18-2008 at 12:38 AM.