263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help... fuel issue.

Need Help... fuel issue.

here is what i have done... its a 51 with stock strongberg carb i have a clear plastic filter just before the carb.

i turn on the car and the pump is doing good. i can see the filter filling up, once things warm up it doesnt pump as good. so i figured the line was vapor locking. the filter starts to get lower and lower until there is nothing in it.

then i run another line completely away from anything hot (btw the hood is off during these test) and i get the exact same results.

so i continue to disconnect the carb inlet and place that in a big bucket. not allowing the car to cool down, i turn on the car (there is still gas in the carb so it runs for a while) and to my surprise... the fuel pump is pumping as it should be. when i put my finger on the tip of the fuel line the clear plastic filter gets filled almost in a matter of seconds.

i do not know what to do!? i have checked the carb, tunned it, even took it apart and cleaned everything.

someone please help me out.

thanks, Yaril

pic for good measures... i know we all like to look at pics (this one has nothing to do with my problem)

It might be nice to put a pressure gauge on the end of the line when you have it off. It could be that the line that is vapour locking is between the pump and the carb, so when you open the line at the carb you release the lock. Inspect that line, hopefully you will find a spot where it is in contact with the block. Bend it so that it is at least 1/2" from any contact.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

i understand. ill try and put a gauge on it.

THANKS!

Electric pump? Do you have it wired into the starter circuit by chance? This would cause it to fill up when the key is turned on, but stop when the engine is running.

Mark

well, the car is running good. drove it some 40 miles on Saturday and the fuel filter never quite fills up, but it still works. i am ordering an in line pressure gauge to monitor the pressure.

btw, i am still using a mechanical pump, that I replaced about 2 year ago.

Todays gas is not the same as it was when our cars was new!
    I put 3 gaskets behind my pump to make it run cooler, and I have no problems with vapour locks.
    And my filter just gets half full as well!

i hear that.

so 3 gaskets? just sandwiched together? does that really help?

Yes! That helped me! And the rest of the fuel line/carb are stock.

Talking

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the "Tip"

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

so i guess ill be searching for some gaskets...

i just installed my new fuel pressure gauge and glass bowl filter. i cranked up the car and it was just under 3 psi, eventually it did get to 3 psi but not for too long (even though the books says 3-5 from what i remember). it slowly started dropping as the motor reached operating temperatures. so i turned it off and cranked it right back up to find that i had 0 psi.

i never had a fuel pressure gauge so i never new what i had, regardless i was still able to drive the car some 30 minutes on the freeway and regular daily driving stuff. weird.

do you guys think that perhaps my copper fuel line gets too hot or the coils are reducing pressure? if not i will be ordering those 3 extra gaskets.

Thanks!