- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 39 of 66 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

[QUOTE=telekenfun;70890]quote=alleycat;68645] This engine needs a bigger, better flowing head. Janderson may have one, he was going to flow test the standard crappy head as well as the "good' head, and tell us ALL!! But he has not...(slacker)(ha!) [/QUOTE

Ok, My GOAL for this summer is to do some back to back testing of these heads and maybe even try a few ideas I have with the ports. I really will, promise! Customer stuff comes first though..........a guys gotta eat

263 vs 320

I have heard enough....the 263 will never out perform the 320. The 320 can easily be made into a 355 c.i. and your 263 will never produce the hp that the 320 will.

When you show me a 263 that will beat my 355 and do the quarter mile faster than 9.40 seconds @ 147 mph. Then I will say your 263 is better.

So where is your fast 263? I want to see it!

My 320 has already accomplished this and it raps 6.500 rpms + and stays together.

I am waiting guys....show me your engines!!

Racing a 320/355 since 1959 and beating V-8s heads up in drag racing.

The Duke

Quote Originally Posted by duke View Post
    I have heard enough....the 263 will never out perform the 320. The 320 can easily be made into a 355 c.i. and your 263 will never produce the hp that the 320 will.

When you show me a 263 that will beat my 355 and do the quarter mile faster than 9.40 seconds @ 147 mph. Then I will say your 263 is better.

So where is your fast 263? I want to see it!

My 320 has already accomplished this and it raps 6.500 rpms + and stays together.

I am waiting guys....show me your engines!!

Racing a 320/355 since 1959 and beating V-8s heads up in drag racing.

The Duke
    Duke, I wanted to ask you about the intake tubes on your straight 8 dragster., how much of an angle was it ?or was it just enough to get by the water jacket? 39cent

The head was machined off and new intake and exhaust ports were made to accomodate larger ports. The tubes are angled just to clear the valve cover gasket as was required by NHRA in order to be a legal head.

Makes it flow a lot more air and fuel.
    Last edited by duke; 04-26-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Juricic View Post
    Someone said about a year ago they would like to see an inline 8 in a T-Bucket. So here is a picture of mine. Still under construction.
    Cool, I love it. It will be a crowd getter at cruise in's

Post a picture when it is completed.

thanks

Here is a front view of the injection.

yea Duke, I have been mentioning that kinda mod here several times then I saw pix of your dragster and noticed that you guys had already done it long ago. I have seen it done on British, 4 cyl sportscars in some of those performance books, but nobody seemed to pick up on it here. even some oldtime chevy 6,s were done that way.
    Duke did you 'lump port' the intake ports to make a gradual turn down into the port or it wasnt neccessary? And looking at that angle I would think you might hit water? anyway i can see how it would make a major improvement in port flow.

Stright 8

Im looking for a header for my 263 any info thanks.

Duke..........I see what you ment by having longer runner than mine, way longer! I can't tell from the photo just where the injection plate is ? Is it above or below that support plate. Would it be about 8-10 inches from the intake runner? And are the nozzles above in the stacks? I might try to add longer runner to mine and see if it works out.

As you can see they are very short........
    thanks

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you look close at the pic. The support plate is right above the butterflys. You can see the shaft that connects all for butterflys together. Look right below that shaft and you will see the injection nozzles on each side of the intake stack. Two on each one. If you look close at the back tube you can see the rubber hose attaching the tubes to the head. Rubber hoses? Yes, rubber hoses. Why? The rubber does not conduct heat as much as metal does. For more horsepower you need a cold heavy air fuel charge going into a hot engine. Plus by using rubber tube, you can vary the lenght of the runner to tune the ramcharging effect to fit the rpm range that you want to run your engine at.
    In answer to the question about lump port, no did not use a lump port on the head. By using proper ramcharging, their is no need of a lump port on the head. Using the angled intake tubes, the air fuel mixture dumps almost right on top of the intake valves. The ramcharging stacks up the mixture in the tubes pushing down towards the engines intake valves and keeps a mixture waiting for the intake to open up. If anyone is interested. Try finding an old article. It was done about the Dodge Ramchargers guys that started drag racing a year or two after our straight eight was made back in the sixties. It is a very good article on ramcharging and how it works and how to do it.
    Good Luck and Good Racing to the Straight Eight Racers
    Duke