- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

You probably won't get past the counter boys, and unless you get the guy I talked with, nobody there will have a clue. I, at the moment, can't think of the guys name! I have his card but can't find it! However, when I was down there and was chewing over the total lack of str8 perf parts, it was clear that they don't develope parts, they make replacement parts. BUT, they are way hip to the idea, they just are not going to do the R&D. So, it's up to us. At the time, I had little idea on rings, just that the rings that come to us from the 30's, barely do the job. The guys at Egge had no idea of a solution. So, my concern at the time was finding the best piston that we could get our hands on, and could me, or anybody else, get them semi-finished? That is: finished up to the point of no ring maching done to the piston. I thought that once I find rings that will work, I can do the machining and put the rings where I want them. I did ask if I cameup with the correct information, that is, a mechinical drawing, could they possiably machine the pistons to my specs, since there is the distinct possiability that other str8 guys may want to do the same. Yes, we do a lot of custom machining for odd stuff.

So, this is where I am: I am going to go .060 over on my 248. Standard Mazda 626 4cyl 1979-80 is 80mm, this is = to .060 over 248. I am using perfect circle # 41441, 2 sets. If, for instance, I wanted to go .080 over, then the same ring set but 1/2mm over which = .020 over. Metric rings come in 1/2mm overs, so if a .050 or .070 is wanted it would have to be the .060 or .080 and file to fit. I have a drawing ready to go, I'm going to send a set of rings along with it and a letter explaining what I've got in mind. If they can machine it up and send me a finished set of pistons, great! If not, send me the semi-finished set and I'll do it myself. Once this is done, anybody else should be able to contact Egge and say "I want the same" as I'm also going to mention that they may want to keep a copy or two of my drawing as they may see this again. Hopefully, some time this month I'll be doing this. alleycat

Egge Rings

Since the Mazda rings will fit.....why not use the Mazda pistons as well?

Just wondering about it..it would be cheaper than paying for custom work.

The top of the mazda piston is a flat top and the pin location is just under the rings and a different size. Custom work is the name of the game when it comes to building hi-perf str8's. alleycat

straight 8 hot rodders

Here is the latest work on the Buick headers and electric cut-outs.

straight 8 hot rodders

I guess I don't know how to post photos.

straight 8 hot rodders

Here is the header rework on the 50 Buick

Down under 248 Had Ross make me Madza pistons 81mm+50 3 ring set with 9-1 comp they should have the spec sheet ask for Allen Akiyama
    heavy pistons sent them to OZ and we sent them back they took out 60 grams we ended up with 487 grams per piston only.
    stock head 145cc chamber .stock deck height Can supply JOB #can't find it at the moment
    useing Falcon 6 crossflow injection manifold reworked looks simular to the one on the GMC but the runners go up and throtal body is in line with the tapetcover

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    The top of the mazda piston is a flat top and the pin location is just under the rings and a different size. Custom work is the name of the game when it comes to building hi-perf str8's. alleycat

Down under 248 ROSS RACING PISTONS JOB CARD # 118030
    Bore--- 3.169, Oldsmobile Dome net cc dome 43.9
    we had them machine a grove at the sparkplug to get flame travel
    cost us $784.00+(shipping a couple of times) in US Dollars cost more
    in AU Dollars . Inliners International Member
    Hope the rods hold with this comp ,all preped and balanced
    should hear some noise soom Willys77

We got EGGE to ship a set of W/pins to ROSS as the ones Ross supply
    DO NOT have a notch for the clamp bolt

This is getting really intresting! Willys, I can't wait to hear what you get out of that str8! I don't think the stock rods would give you any trouble. They rockwell in at about 26, C scale, and they are a vanadium alloy, very tough. Chevy rods in comparison rockwell about 13-14. Don't use the babbeted rod, unless you convert it to insert bearings. Grind off the forging flash and polish the beam, then get it shot peened. Put a VERY good bolt in the top where it clamps the pin. The rod will then stand up to more power than any of us have been able to get thus far.
    I have all the bottom end finished for my str8 but the hold up is getting pistons for it. I can't get up in the morning that something new happens and displaces the str8 project back the amount of time it takes to handle the "new" problem! I'm going to get EGGE to machine a set of their pistons to my ring specs and if they can't or not inclined to, I'll just get a blank set and machine them myself. I would like to get 9-1 comp as well, the EGGE piston will handle it easly but the chamber is so big, I'm going to have to use every trick possiable to get it. I'd like to see a photo of your pistons. It's way cool hearing from "down under", keep us posted! alleycat