- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 38 of 66 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

Woops, here's link to SU source: http://www.sumidel.com/

Yeah, agree on form and function...but I also like to play around...and I am always dealing with other people's throwaways and bits and pieces...it started with an XK engine I had in a Delahaye project...wanted it to look less obvious, so experimented with milling off the fins of a seventies/eighties cam cover and engine turning it...made it look like a Bugatti or something! See my scratch built "Riley" for some pure "art department" :~)

No didn't get the all synchro box, but did get the beautiful cast Aluminum differential...I probably won't be able to go to the expense of replica SU's like yours especially since the car isn't really intended to be a restoration. I call it the Hirondel after Simon Templar's car in the "Saint" series of the 30's..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buick Guy View Post
    Dumb question. Does anybody have the part number for a front crank seal for a 320? Used my last one and didn't write the number down. Don't want to tear the engine apart to get a number. Need the generic number, not the GM part number. Thanks, Doug
    Part# for 1950 Roadmaster is NOS 19969 at Napa.

straight 8

Great ***** Of Fire: Thanks,

T-Bucket

Someone said about a year ago they would like to see an inline 8 in a T-Bucket. So here is a picture of mine. Still under construction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Talk about coolness factor tipping the scales

Cool ride, whats that next to it? a 39 or 40? what kind of engine is in it? ggggg

Dare to be different, love it!

T-Bucket

Whats next to it is a 39 Pontiac. I had the Buick engine in it for a while, but my son and his wife said they wanted the Pontiac. My son and I are now putting the Buick engine in the T-Bucket.

We struck water!

quote=alleycat;68645]Duesy, I do indeed like the 263. Mainly because, it was the last, only, modern, str8 made. There may have been a few racing str8's, or a few str8's made "across the pond" but these might be kinda hard to get. I also really like the Stutz DV32, and Miller 8's, these might be somewhat difficult to get, but very cool...Now as for parts availability, mmmm, speed parts, none, and as for supercharging, efi, etc,...you'll be making it all. I am. So, a Stutz engine would be very cool and a lot of stuff could probably be done to it, but do you really want to risk blowin it up after you've built it up? It can happen. I've blowed up my 248 several times, fortunately at power levels that did not reduce the block to scrap. Although, at the time the yards were full of str8's, so, no big deal really. That may be the big advantage of the Buick str8. They can still be got fairly easy. The 263 did not have any of the limitations of the 320 or 248. It is more "heavy duty" than the 320 or 248, in the same space as the 248. By current standards, probably a bit too heavy duty, but back in 1940, with heavy parts, oil little better than what came out of the ground, etc, this was a ground breaking engine. 263 inches might look a little small but if you want good pistons( a good idea), you will be making them. I am. The 263 will go .250 over, thats 308 inches, a nice size. The rod ratio is 1.8, also nice. This engine needs a bigger, better flowing head. Janderson may have one, he was going to flow test the standard crappy head as well as the "good' head, and tell us ALL!! But he has not...(slacker)(ha!) Beyond that, every "thing" must be made. But this engine CAN handle the power.

As for just how much power the dual carb unit is worth...If you want to believe Buicks claim as to the increase, something like 20-30hp. I would'ent. Buick tended to be VERY optimistic, at the same time changing virtually nothing on the engine. Sticking a bunch of carbs on a engine will do little for actual power. The carb is just a metering device. But! The dual carb unit is a VERY good unit! The best carb/exhaust system that was ever made up until the mid 60's. So, it's the potential that counts. Port&polish the head, thats the choke point. Bolt 'er on, you'll feel the power then. Use Carter WCD's. alleycat[/quote]