- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 37 of 66 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

Kudos and I appreciate the effort. All we need is a good cross flow (maybe SOHC) head, EFI, HEI ignition.

I have an idea about a head solutuion I'll e-mail you about...
    I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
    People Eating Tasty Animals
    There's no nookie like chinookie
    No butts like halibuts
    Fish are not our friends, they're food.
    Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Life is sexually transmitted.

G'Day Folks

I've just spent a very enjoyable spot of time (while my wife is away on a business trip) reading through this thread. I think I have learned more about the buick straight 8's dynamics from reading through this than all of my previous reading combined. Kudos to you all!

Cheers

Horaldic

straight 8

Dumb question. Does anybody have the part number for a front crank seal for a 320? Used my last one and didn't write the number down. Don't want to tear the engine apart to get a number. Need the generic number, not the GM part number. Thanks, Doug

A look at my project

I was going to post a picture of my straight eight project ..lessee if this works..Anyway, it is a 263 in a 1934 Alvis frame and has a T-5 transmission out of an S-10 truck adapted to the original bell housing..Am trying to think of the right carburation for it that would work but look "period"..am thinking of 4 1 3/4" SU's which seems to pencil out about right and would look kind of cool...basically I am thinking of this engine as two fours a little over 2 litres (like 240 Z or Volvo that used 2 SU's)..The idea of 8 BSA Gold Stars with eight Amal carbs was like a nightmare..anyway, only four intake holes...
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PolarRoller; 02-16-2010 at 06:11 PM.

REALLY cool project Polar!!! I have always wanted to run SU's on a STR8 because they really do look cool. The neat thing about them is that they are almost infinitely tuneable. There are also a million of them out there and they are affordable (more affordable than the triple side-draft webbers I have). Good luck with your really cool project.

Very cool indeed! Buick STR8 way to go plus the SUs. Here's a pair fitted to my '23 Duesy, prewar style repo's sourced from Australia. They even look stock.

Wow, those pre war SU's look great! Have an address for them? I am basically an artist more than an engineer, and get as much fun out of making things appear more than they are as I do having the real thing... my daughter is a set dresser in the movie business...They have a term used as an adjective about things that look neat on screen but are totally fake, so, you might go to an apartment for a party and describe it as pure "art department". I love the idea of doing that "art department" treatment to car engines and thought it might even make a good business...sort of a JC Whitney for the Ralph Lauren set..call it car jewelry. For instance as much as I would lover to have a twin cam cross flow head on this straight eight, it obviously ain't gonna happen for real if I read this group right :~) But, it would be a snap to make a really convincing "art department" twin cam..Here I started with a couple of mailing tubes. Obviously the final produce would have all kinds of acorn nuts, copper tubing and neato inspection doors :~)

8. Balvis

I just love to see people go the extra mile for the details, instead of taking the shortcut!

Way cool !

Two quick questions, I have a 1951 Buick Special with a Dynaflow, would I have a 263 or a 248 in it? The 1951 information on here shows that combination should be a 248 with the Dynaflow, the only model that year using the 248, but alleycat stated that the 248 was done in 1950, leaving me to believe I may have a 263, which would make me happy after reading what can be done with that motor. Maybe I'm misunderstood, I just don't want to assume before I really dig into the car. The second question is, has anybody used fuel injection on this motor, I just talked to a gentleman who works for a performance manufacturer and I told him of wanting to do multiple carbs and he asked me why I don't go with a fuel injection system for cost and ease of use once set up, which got me wondering....

My SU installation is not only 100% functional but accomplished without adapters. I had access to a very clever welder experienced in cast aluminum who was able to modify stock Duesy rams horn intake to accept flange plates for mating SUs. Lotta work to say the least. She runs fantastic and sounds even better. As for gingerbread, guess I'm of the other school where looks follow function. Put your efforts into carburation and manifolds and perhaps dupe an authentic Edmunds (?) finned valve cover and call it a day. You have the makings of an awesome vintage racer! Were you able to salvage the stock Alvis 4-spd. syncro box?