- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 30 of 66 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

1. 248 pictures

Pat aka "Willys 77" asked me to post these pictures of his 248 on this forum. Pat will provide the details
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Dale
    Hoped you had it all together.It sure looks good and if you get the pistons before too long, you can still git er dun. Nice job on the headers! We'll look forward to seeing you in August.
    Buick guy -- the big dyno on the salt is the only one that really counts, huh. We never dyno'd our Buick with the 4-71 and carb, but this EFI is a different animal. Our guy in Omaha (Council Bluffs really) is so good at it that we can't hardly pass it up. We're not going to flog her too hard and hopefully we're past the issues that caught us before. We're planning on using afr, exhaust temps and plug reads to decide when to bring in the front injectors.
    Jyrki, tell Pat his 248 sure looks nice. Has he had pictures of the car on here before?
    Mike

HI Mike have not posted pictures before running straight natural gas-
    T700 -9" 3.55
    will have to ask Jyrki to post photos can't seem to post photos from here
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by collis View Post
    Hi Dale
    Hoped you had it all together.It sure looks good and if you get the pistons before too long, you can still git er dun. Nice job on the headers! We'll look forward to seeing you in August.
    Buick guy -- the big dyno on the salt is the only one that really counts, huh. We never dyno'd our Buick with the 4-71 and carb, but this EFI is a different animal. Our guy in Omaha (Council Bluffs really) is so good at it that we can't hardly pass it up. We're not going to flog her too hard and hopefully we're past the issues that caught us before. We're planning on using afr, exhaust temps and plug reads to decide when to bring in the front injectors.
    Jyrki, tell Pat his 248 sure looks nice. Has he had pictures of the car on here before?
    Mike

'twofer' straight 8

wow we are getting out there now. but in reality i think maybe a DOHC alum. cam cover, and sidecover, would put some 'reality' into the equation. The Ol' Bu, can hardly contain the power that its stock head allows, [due to limitations in its bottom end]. If we really want to engineer a straight 8 we havto look at the Bugatti, it takes its power from the middle of the engine, thus making it into two four cylinders back to back in one block. Then a real DOHC head and sky,s the limit on rpms and power.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 07-06-2009 at 09:25 AM.

anything new

Here is a couple of photos of the Buick after the chassis dyno runs. Here is a video of the bad pull. http://www.youtube.com/drunez
    Last edited by GH; 01-14-2010 at 07:51 AM.

Damn the Luck

GH & Mike...........OK now I will stop my moaning and bitchin', about no pistons.

Really sorry about the '50, at what point did the rod let go? Maybe a rod bolt, what do you guys think? How much boost ?

Here is where I'm at, last Thur. Diamond said sorry "we can not make that piston" fired a piston and mold to Ross and they said " give use one week" they called today and same ol' **** ...."sorry we thought we could, but can't"........so in goes the old pistons that I welded the holes up in.

Anyway trust you guys are still coming to Bonneville,

Dale

Oh man that sucks...that was such a sweet sounding car...sorry about what happened. Any spare blocks lying around?
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

straight 8

Check out the Salt Cat Racing Facebook page. We just added some new pics, and some video. Only 13 more days 'til we leave for the Salt. Are we having fun yet???????????????

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Here is a couple of photos of the Buick after the chassis dyno runs. Here is a video of the bad pull. http://www.youtube.com/drunez
    GH,
    Looks exactly like our dyno results earlier this year. We lost #2 rod at about 4700 and had to replace just about everything in the engine. New block, four rods, four pistons, cam and lifters, etc., etc. R&R (rod people) sent the mess to ARP for analysis and they determined that it probably started with a spun bearing, and ended when the cap let go, after a good bit of hammering. Said their bolts were not the problem (big surprise) and that the rod was suffeciently strong to support the forces exerted at 5000 rpm.
    Have you put things back together yet? We have, but I'm not feeling a lot of confidence in those aluminum rods................... Guess you guys won't make Speed Week this year?

anything new

landspeeddon, we just found out that the width of the rod bearings are the same on all I-8 engines. Now we can find out what the crank will clean up to and then order new rods from GRP. I have used aluminum rods quite a bit and have never had any problem. Out problem this time around was an oil issue. We are thinking about adapting a different oil pump, maybe a Ford 351W, high volume.