263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynaflow shift pattern?

Dynaflow shift pattern?

As mentioned in a few other threads, I'm the new owner of a Tudor Rat Rod with a 263 / Dynaflow setup. The Dynaflow has a very rudimentary shifter cobbled together and I'm having a hard time figuring out the gear selector pattern. If I go all the way forward it seems like neutral, then as I come back there's reverse, and then a little farther back there's foreward (Drive, I assume) Is there a Low gear or something past that point? It just seems to go back into a neutral type situation of I come all the way back on the stick.

(I guess the short version of this query is : What's the gear pattern on y'all's Dynaflow shifter?)

Thanks in advance, all the help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers-

Johnny
    www.EvilTwinChoppers.com

It is PNDLR.

I'm with some of the others, I want to see a picture of the whole car!

Try the showroom, the link is in the upper right of the page.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

my dyna off the top of my head is from left to right P, N, D,L,R.

Dynaflows up to about 53, did not have internal gear detents. The detents were on the collum shifter. The linkage going down to the trans, reversed. It all had to be carefully adjusted to work correctly, once there it's perfect forever. So, if you put or have a shifter directly on the trans, it could be anywhere, as the shuttle valves in the trans control the "gear" that the trans is in. You could find neutral a lot. The only real solution is to get a tailshaft housing off a later dyna, that has the detent pawl built in. Once adjusted it'll work like a charm. The pattern will still be reversed unless you come up with reversing linkage, but you'll be good to go in any case.

alleycat, thanks for the headers

"Park"??

What is this "Park" of which you speak? Is it supposed to be "Park", like "hold the car in place" like a modern car? (I sure as heck don't have anything like that anywhere on the range of this input shaft...) Truth be told, I hate this F-ing Dynaflow. Doesn't somebody make an adapter to put a nice T-5 or something? Otherwise, what manual trans options do I have from the buick family?

Cheers-

Johnny
    www.EvilTwinChoppers.com

yes, you can buy adapters to put a 700r4 transmission onto a S8.
    http://www.transmissionadapters.com/
    go nuts.
    Last edited by LowBlowJoe; 09-27-2006 at 04:13 PM.

Your entirely welcome, Lowblo. Keep me posted as to how it workes out. alleycat

the headers are sitting in my living room. waiting for my new carb and for the dynaflow to finally be in good working order. got the master rebuild kit. now im waiting for the bands everything was pretty beat up inside the dynaflow. but cant find tail housings and such that i need..so i guess ill have it put back together worn out. chopper has a right to dislike these dynaslows.they are a pain, parts are a pain, but damn they are so cool.

Dynaflow.

I have had success dealing with Fatsco Tranmission in NJ as far as acquiring Dynaflow Parts

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861