- Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Fuel problems!

HELP! Fuel problems!

Hey all,
    My 263 Stromberg runs for 5 seconds then erupts fuel from the fuel bowl then dies. The fuel comes out the vent and goes all over outside and inside the carburetor and is flooding the heck out of my motor... This happens with the motor running or the starter turning it...I've tried two carbs and it still happens. I've had both carbs apart and they look fine. It started happening last Friday. Could the fuel pump be the culprit? Supposedly the fuel pump has a diaphram that shuts off fuel flow when the needle in the carb is shut...could this go bad? Any ideas...for once I'm totally at a loss! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Aaron
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

It has to be your needle and seat or your float level. There is nothing "shut off" in the fuel pump.

Test your fuel pressure at the carb. , also do you have the stock fuel pump? It does sound like a stuck float needle , but high fuel pressure will also cause this ( an electric fuel pump will need a pressure regulator ) . HTH
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

Quijote Guest

Fuel fouls.

You say there's the same trouble with two carbs. Thus, it erase the most commun fault, -needle stuck-, or the second -punctured/corroded float-.
    The pump, -electric or mechanical-, never has tha power to overflood the carb: That needle valve stops everything... if it works properly.
    'Cept haunted Buicks -more common than you think-, it's always that needle valve: Take apart the carb, attach a plastic hose to the inlet pipe, lift the float with finger and try to blow on the hose, -mouth way, don't use compressed air-. If blocked, it works; if it allows you to blow in any way, y'now, refine it all. (Or use a 10 pound hammer on the old carb and try another one).

OK, I tried a 3rd needle and seat, same problem...fuel pressure with the engine spinning and no plugs in never exceeded 3 pounds on my gauge, but proceeded to blow fuel out the hose and all over the place. Soooo, even though it defies logic, I ordered a fuel pump rebuild kit...it probably won't be here til next week...so I'll have to wait around for it. I'll update everybody when I fail miserably and push the car off a cliff...
    1953 Special Riviera 45R

On these cars it is common to have a small crack in the float so it will never shut off the fuel as it fills with fuel and won't float. If you have 3 lbs of pressure that is not the problem however it won't hurt to rebuild the pump. Do like the last poster suggested to check the needle and seat then blow out any bad spirits as Buicks are easily exorcised.
    Last edited by Jim Carmichael; 05-24-2006 at 04:32 PM.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Hey Jim,
    I actually took one of the lids, installed a needle and seat that had been on the car, and used compressed air (sealed against the fitting) and heard no leaks of any kind anywhere. It's a baffling problem! It makes sense that it would be a needle and seat, but I've tried two lids (carbs actually) and 3 needles and seat and the symptoms don't change. I've tried rubber tipped seats and straight brass seats. It's really weird...I'll let everybody know when (or should I say if) I find the problem! (Oh, and I floated the float in my kitchen sink--there's no gas or water in it and it floated great...)
    1953 Special Riviera 45R

Another Possibility

There is another possible cause for your problem. That would be fine particles of dirt in the fuel line entering the carb. In my Stromberg 97 days I was always victimized by this. Get yourself a cylindrical inline paper filter, usually about 2 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches in diameter with an inlet on one end and out on the other. Mount it in the fuel line IMMEDIATELY at the carb inlet with neoprene tubing. Be VERY concious of dirt between the filter and the carb. I'm convinced that dirt is your problem. Good luck!

dump the damn stomberg and find a carter. I had the stromberg at first but it just gave me too much trouble

Buick Boy...I have thought about it, believe me! I'm going to give the Strommie one more shot...I have the fuel pump apart to rebuild it and the vacuum diaphragm with ripped and the fuel outlet valve wasn't checking anymore...so that may be the problem...I also could have damaged it taking it out. Fuel line dirt is an excellent possibility, I'll throw a filter on it when all is said and done...I'll keep everyone updated on this perplexing problem!
    1953 Special Riviera 45R