upgrades

A

abulva

I was wondering if anyone knows what I can do to maxamize horsepower and torque in a 66 300cid 2bbl. I'm trying to get as much power as I can out of the stock engine as I'd rather not swap engines if I can help it, thanks

Andrew, I'm building a 64 300(aluminum heads) for my son; for the street on pump gas. I assume, since yours is a 66 300, it has iron heads. I don't know how much money you want to spend, so I'll just cover the basics. You really can't spend too much money because the 300's design has some limits and there are some parts availability issues.

1]Bore the block .050" over and install Buick 350 pistons. Several CR's are available.

2]Get a stock Buick 300 aluminum 4bbl intake manifold, it's the only one available.

3]Since the heads have shaft rockers, a radical cam is not going to work well with them. Choose a cam with a lift of no more than .500" and the biggest area under the torque/hp curve. An rpm range of off idle to 5500 rpm will work. If you plan to go over 5500rpm, your going to have to increase the valve diameters and do some flow work on the heads and intake manifold. SBC hi-pro valves springs will work too.

4] The stock manifold will accept a 600-625 cfm(?) Carter AFB.

5]The exhaust manifolds are a pretty good design, but get headers if you can find them. Use at least a 2" dia. dual exhuast system with an "H" or "X" pipe. A 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" dia. system would ideal.

6]Install a breakerless ignition with hi-volt coil.

7]If you have an auto trans, get a 3.08 or 3.23:1 rear gear. If 4 speed go higher but not over 3:73:1.
banana.gif

Andrew,

Use the cast iron 65 4 bbl intake for your 300. The aluminum intake will not fit right with the iron heads. You might want to think about having the heads ported, and Poston was just finishing the last batch of Skylark headers for the 300/340.

Dr. Frankenbuick, I did'nt know that manifold would'nt fit. What are the differences? The aluminum and iron heads outer appearance seem to be the same?

gmranch,

Here, here and here is some information on the 300 intakes and fit. I also remember some more information on the BCA site. Maybe a search for the 300 engine here on this site or on the BCA site would reveal more. :confused:

Dr. Frankenbuick, it sounds like the aluminum manifold will bolt up, but there is a port mismatch issue with the later iron iron heads. An iron 4bbl. manifold with iron heads would be the best setup.

Thanks for the info, GMRANCH

thanks for all the help i was running into a wall with this.

i'll have to try all that and see what i can do
banana.gif

Back