T400 trans to 401

I have a 401 nailhead , 1962 vintage I believe. Have a T400 trans to bolt up to it with the flex plate that fits both the engine crank and the torque
converter. It has the ring gear as part of it for the starter and has the same
number of teeth as the torque converter that came with the old Dynaflow trans.
Ny question is that the trans has a 2 pronged plug which I believe one is for the switch pitch ( Which I don't believe my new converter has ) and the other I think is for the kick down. How do I tell which one is what. I did not get the kick down throttle switch with the engine. How do I conect this all up?
Thanks IF

IF, the trans. will have a plate riveted to the right/passenger side. This gives the year of the trans. & a 2 letter code identifying what it came out of. We need those numbers/letters. You will also need the correct bushing for the rear of the crank to support the smaller diameter hub of the 400 trans. converter. I DO NOT recommend cutting the ID of the 400 flex-plate to fit the DynaFlow crank. The vertical blade, up & down, is the kick-down. The horizontal blade is for the switch-pitch, forward/back/front-rear. If it is a switch-pitch trans. you NEED to use the switch-pitch converter or the trans. needs to be converted back to a non switch-pitch. To make sure the switch-pitch & kick-down solenoids are working get a 12 volt battery. Go from the negative (-) post of the battery with a jumper wire to the trans. case for the ground. Now take a jumper wire from the positive (+) side of the battery & touch it to either terminal on the side of the trans. You should hear a clicking coming from inside the trans. If you don't hear any clicking make sure you have a GOOD connection on the + & - terminals of the battery.

Tom T.

trans clarification

Hi , i am attempting a similar fit. with a 63 425 . it has a dynaflo attached now . but i have a turbo 400 switch trans . can i make the swap or is there going to be a problem with crank mating to torque converter?

Back