shock absorber fluid

If you do a site search, you will find a few threads discussing shock absorber fluid. Many just go to a motorcycle shop and get some motorcycle shock absorber fluid. It is readily available that way.

I used (hydraulic) jack oil in the nearly dry shocks on my '51 Special. Partly because I saw it suggested, but mostly because I had some on hand. Seems to work, but they still leak.

One of my restored ones leaked so bad after a few years it would nor hold hydraulic oil. Filled with 80-90 gear oil. Been six months +. Still works and full.

Ben

Yea, just too much work as long as it works. I detest removing the shock. Arms have to be pulled apart, removed, seal replace and arms welded. I am hoping the gear oil will keep it going for a few more years.

Ben

Yea, just too much work as long as it works. I detest removing the shock. Arms have to be pulled apart, removed, seal replace and arms welded. I am hoping the gear oil will keep it going for a few more years.

Ben
thanks I will try the gear oil first. I first thought that the shocks could be overhauled fairly easily but it looks like that isn't the case. sounds like they are one time use only.

Back