HEH distributor

I'm finally getting my 455 together and have discovered that the HEI that came with my 1976 engine won't fit in the 1973 hole. Am I doing something wrong? The 73 had a points distributor.

Too big for the hole or just not going in all the way? From my experience it should fit. You probably have to line up your oil pump shaft if it's not going down all the way.

You may have burrs or other damage on it. Try cleaning it where it goes into the block with some fine emery paper. I believe every big block GM engine from the late 60's until the end of their production can use the HEI for that particular engine.
Just have to ask are you working the shaft as you put it in so the gear meshes up with the cam while maintaining rotor position?

Clean up the hole as suggested. HEI and Points distributors both fit. Corrosion of the aluminum timing cover is very common.

Thanks for the replys. I'm not one that usually forces things together, but I used a little Vaseline and it is now installed. It fit just a little tighter than the points distributor. I guess that means my timing cover is in good shape.

Thanks for the replys. I'm not one that usually forces things together, but I used a little Vaseline and it is now installed. It fit just a little tighter than the points distributor. I guess that means my timing cover is in good shape.

Or the distributor and or the cover is corroded. I hope its loose enough for you to make any timing adjustments they may be needed without having to force the distributor.

Everything is dandy. No corrosion, no burrs, no problems. I was just being a sissy about pushing it in. Thanks for the help, guys.

Back