Breaking 13.5

Ok, we broke into the 13's let's go for the mid 13's, what did you do to get there?
finishflag.gif

Bob,

You just did 14s and now you want 13s. That is how it all started fot me. This is not a good sign. :rolleyes: I think Joe's thoughts for 14s hold true for 13s. You just want more cam, converter stall and rear gear to find the low 13s. 12s are where things seem to get more expensive. It is also where suspension mods start to help out.

Steve,

I haven't actually broken anything yet, but I do intend on trying this spring when the opportunity presents itself!

I was hoping to attract some input from people who have competed at various levels and what they did to get there. I may have used that input in my plans for my car. Personally, I will be keeping the car as a usable car but I think I should be able to get to the mid 13's in such a configuration. Some kind of reasonable mileage is important. What's reasonable? How about 15 or 16 mpg. hwy. I'm probably going to stick with 3.36 gears.

So far I have sitting in my shop a set of Hotchkiss sway bars to get rid of some of the roll, and a 2 1/2" American thunder exhaust. I really thought about the 3" and may regret saving the money... :( I have ordered a set of bushings for the rear end, but am still trying to figure out what to do about a posi! I am afraid I may have to buy an aftermarket of some kind.

Then all I need to do is finish work, (right now about a week) finish winter maintenance on two excavators in my shop, then I can get my car in
banana.gif
and play!!!

My 72 GS convert weighs 3990, and with a .030 over 455 ,stage 1 heads ,a performer intake,and a 118 cam ,headers with 2 1/2 exhaust and a 3.31 posi runs 13.0s at 105.with 275X50 drag radials.It loses .2 on street tires(275X60) I have a 200-4R tranny in it and it pulls consistent 17-18 MPG on the interstate.

I would probably go with the Performer intake and one of the new Edelbrock 850 Quadrajets, heads brought up to stage 1 spec, headers and free-flowing exhaust system, a proven camshaft, and a H/D clutch to handle it.
Malc

Back