'50 Conv. -- -- Some Assembly Required...

H

Hoss

Hi everyone--
I've been doing alot of reading on this board, sort of soaking up all the info I can get. I recently bought a '50 Super convertible. This car hasn't run in about four years, and although the body and frame are very good, there's really not much else worth saving. And, I have alot to learn.

It's not my first project car, but it sure is the oldest, and maybe the one with the most potential. I've pretty much decided to swap out the old driveline for newer stuff -- gotta be some kinda big-inch motor, maybe a turbo 400 trans, and a good strong rear end. So obviously, I'll welcome any thoughts. I have alot to do before I get to that stage, so I'll keep looking over everything I can find on disassembly, corrosion control, locating hard-to-find parts, etc.

Anybody have any helpful hints at this point? This will be a two-year campaign, at least...

Cheers--
Hoss
beers.gif

Well I'm interested in what you decide to do! You've got a nice car no matter what you do to it.

I am looking at a '52 Special 2dr that I bought as a parts car, but is fairly good, wish it was a Super ht. I am looking for a 425 to couple to a sp400. I have a 401 and the tranny. I am also considering changing the front clip with something I have in my yard. That will get the big aluminium drums. I won't be getting started until at least the spring.

beers.gif

You might look into putting the body on a later chassis. I had a 57 Buick special on a 72 Electra chassis and it made a GREAT car.

I had not considered another chassis. I don't even know what would fit, but I guess you begin by getting some measurements... The donor car would have to have a 121" wheelbase, or something close. Interesting to think about. How did you go about this on your car? Were there problems with matching up the older body's attachments to the frame?

The body mounts were almost the same. It stands to reason that Fisher Body did not change their assembly lines from yr to yr, so the mounts stayed in the same place for years. The only thing that caused any trouble was the rear upper links for the rear axle had to push the rear seat sheet metal forward a little. i had a friend that put a 60 Buick Special on a 73 Regal Chassis, so it makes a good swap. This way you have all the engineering done for you.

I'll keep this in mind as I start to tear into this thing. The idea has some appeal, that's for sure, especially if I can identify a compatible donor car with reasonably good parts like a good rear end, trans and/or engine (that would be too much luck, probably).
Bob, your '52 would make a nice car, too. I notice there's no shortage of straight 8s available. I have no desire to rebuild mine, that's for sure. Might as well make a nice driver, huh?
Any idea where I might find a good windshield?
thanks

Back