455 Intake Manifold Dimensions

Android

Hi all,

I've got a 1973 455 from an Electra that I'd like to fabricate an intake manifold for someday.
But I don't want to have the engine apart while I work on it.
Does anyone have the dimensions of the stock manifold or could point me to a technical drawing?
Thanks

I'm unaware of any source for that kind of information, you would need a technical drawing with a lot of measurements. Just curious, why would you want to do this given that there are lots of aftermarket 455 intakes available, both dual plane, and single plane. What are you trying to accomplish that the aftermarket hasn't? Do you want to build a sheet metal intake, or something that isn't available?

I'm unaware of any source for that kind of information, you would need a technical drawing with a lot of measurements. Just curious, why would you want to do this given that there are lots of aftermarket 455 intakes available, both dual plane, and single plane. What are you trying to accomplish that the aftermarket hasn't? Do you want to build a sheet metal intake, or something that isn't available?
Ah dang, yeah that's what I was afraid of, I can't seem to find a drawing anywhere.
I'm doing it just because I want to. It's a challenge and I enjoy making things. Not to mention how much cheaper it'll be; I'm on a fairly tight budget.

Ah dang, yeah that's what I was afraid of, I can't seem to find a drawing anywhere.
I'm doing it just because I want to. It's a challenge and I enjoy making things. Not to mention how much cheaper it'll be; I'm on a fairly tight budget.

The only person I can think of that would have such a document would be Dennis M Manner. He was the lead engineer for the 400-430-455 engines,

Maybe try and get a hold of him and ask. You can Google his name and get his address. Maybe send him a letter.

Last edited:
i would look around at your local junk yards and see if you can come up with a trash Buick 400 / 430 / 455.

you're going to have to have something to work as a jig while you're fabbing this anyway. heck, the junk yard might even let you work on it there if you make friends with them.

Back