- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Carb for 56 Buick 4BBL

seeking55 Guest

Aftermarket Carb for 56 Buick 4BBL

Hello All

I have been trying to rebuild and restore my 56 Buick. latest challenge. After rebuilding the original 4 bbl carb I found that it has a few issues that can't be fixed. Is there an aftermarket 4bbl carb that will fit onto the original manifold?
    I'm looking for something to carry me over. I'm not that familiar with Holley, Edelbrock etc carbs. It currently has the Carter WCFB #2197S

As always thanks!!

You didn't say exactly what the problems were with your original, but here is one with some issues on ebay right now.

click here

For an original replacement you could watch for someone parting out a car, phone a few of the old Buick parts suppliers, or just watch ebay.

According to Hollander Rochester replacements for your carb are 7009200, 7009900
    Last edited by rcull; 02-11-2006 at 07:13 AM.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

seeking55 Guest

56 Replacement carb

RCULL

Thanks! The problem is , and I am a mediocre shade tree mechanic, is the fule plunger inside is worn. I've tried to soak it in oil to enlarge it. When I take off it justhesitates. At higher speeds the 4 bbl kicks in and it moves nicely but off the line the fule isn't getting in. I know this is the lamest description.

Also if I were (ugghh) to use an aftermarket does Holley or anyone else make a carb that bolts right on?

Thanks again!

I know a lot of people when they have a problem with their carb just like to "bolt on a new one".

But I personally think those people are usually better off to fix the OE carb. It is usually designed and nicely set up for the application. If it is just the plunger leather or rubber, it is included in a rebuild kit. Make sure it is not just the way the plunger is being activated. There should be a slight preload on the plunger throught the linkage so that there is less than 0 contact. Usually about 1/16". I am not familiar with that particular carb, but other possible problems could be the check ball in the well, or the passages to the shooters, or the shooters.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Seeking 55, I am a Buick man through & through. I was weened on straight eights then graduated to NailHeads such as yours. I designed & now sell a mini-starter for our ole Nails. Am almost in production of Roller Tip Rocker arms for the same. I also live & have a shop in Ct., Southern Fairfield County. As stated, your usually better off using the OEM carb. rather than a generic replacemment. After you make all the changes, in the end it will cost more $$$$$. Give me a shout & I can rebuild your carb.
    M-F 8am-5pm 203-324-6045

Tom Telesco

seeking55 Guest

56 Carb Replacement

TelRiv

Thanks! I'm up in Tolland, CT. I'll give you a call to bring it down. I have to make a trip down to Darien to pick up a '64 Riviera

Thanks

Talking Re: Carb Rebuild

Seeking55

That should be quite an education experience ALL the way around. As it so happens Tom T. owns a marvelous '64 Riviera which he bought New.

I guess you Guys will have a LOT to talk about.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

seeking55 Guest

carb rebuild

Tom G

I'll have to reach out to him when I get it. I picked it up through an estate auction. 58K original miles and was stored in a heated garage with about 15 cars. Luckily everyone wanted the sports cars and made the Riv a great steal for me.
    Well until it arrives back to the '56 Buick I have to put all new gaskets in the tranny to stop the leaks, not much else to do when there's 20" of snow outside

Surprised I didn't hear about that one being that I had a shop in Darien for more than 25 years. Have been at the shop in Stamford for more than 10 years now. Most people in the area know I'm into the ole Buicks & especially Rivs. Oh well, can't own them ALLL!!!!! I do have 5 cars for parts. 4/'64's & 1/'65GS & 1/'66 Wildcat, along with an assortment of others.
    Yea, I just came in from shoveling. Ain't as easy as it used to be at going on 60. Rather twist wrenches than cut grass or shovel this white s&*%$.

Tom T.

seeking55 Guest

carb rebuild

Tom T
    I've been in the Antique business for about 30+ years. I have a number of folks who know that when they get into an estate if there is an old car they usually call me. This one was moved to Darien from an upstate New York home. The family members couldn't decide where to store items and the car ended up with one of the gentleman's daughters.