From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6

Thread: 93 Buick Lasabre, runs great, but now the engine quits while driving

93 Buick Lasabre, runs great, but now the engine quits while driving

1993 Buick LaSabre, has 137,000 miles. Car really runs well, everything works, but last week while driving, without any warning the engine shut off. The only way I knew it is because I saw all the dash lighs come on (like you would see when the you turn on the ingnition before starting the car). It took about 5 mintutes, but I was able to get the car started again. The car did it once again this week with my wife driving and now she won't drive it. (who can blame her?) Any ideas? The engine light is not coming on or anything, there is no warning, it just shuts off.

start with your fuel filter clean or replace it, if that does not fix problem, have your fuel pump checked.

Also try checking on your alternator; if it's adequately charging your battery. The same thing happened to me before...but it just ended up being a bad battery that was being drained.
    And the collection continues...
    1991 Century - JUICD 91
    1971 Skylark - COZY 71
    1964 LeSabre - LACED 64

Check your codes, my 92 did that and I found a code 17 set. That is a crank sensor problem, there was a crack in the sealing on the sensor and when it got water(or in my case,anti-freeze) in it, it quit.
    J.R. Lemke

mboh03 Guest
    Sounds to me like it's an ignition module, I worked in dealerships for years. Does it seem to do it after the engine gets hot and is the temp outside hot also? They will shut off just like if you turned the key off and after setting for a few minutes it will cool off enough to go again. I think those are located in the distributor. Seen it happen a hundred times.

good luck.
    Last edited by mboh03; 07-10-2006 at 10:52 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by mboh03
    Sounds to me like it's an ignition module, I worked in dealerships for years. Does it seem to do it after the engine gets hot and is the temp outside hot also? They will shut off just like if you turned the key off and after setting for a few minutes it will cool off enough to go again. I think those are located in the distributor. Seen it happen a hundred times.

good luck.

Would certainly have to agree with the module issue.....seeing how this car has a distributorless ignition, the module is the piece located under the coil packs.

86 T-TYPE (DARK BLUE METALLIC),
    87 TURBO T (GREY METALLIC),
    87 GRAND NATIONAL (CANADIAN MODEL),
    87 CENTURY LIMITED 2.8 HO (MY FAITHFUL LITTLE DRIVER)
    98 REGAL GS (THE OTHER BLOWN BUICK)
    95 PONTIAC TRANS AM (6-SPEED, 3.42 REAR)
    06 DODGE CHARGER R/T (WIFES VEHICLE)

http://community.webshots.com/user/vicious6

Was not the ingnition module :(

I replaced the iginition module, but the car still cuts off while driving. I am going to replace the crank sensor and camshaft sensor in hopes that I can find the problem.

Why not do a fuel pressure test ? Or do a spark test when the car dies ? Why spend money on wild guess ?
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

Cole,
    How much more money do you want to "waste" without fixing it ?????? Even though I have always been a DIY on my own vehicles, there is a time to have a properly equiped shop find out what the problem is. Even if you end up fixing it yourself, the money you pay them to diagnose it might save you a bunch of dough and wasted time. The fuel pump needs to be current ramp checked with a scope, same goes with the crank sensor etc. You can generally find the culprit if you have the correct tools.

There is a number of things that could cause it. Bad fuel pump, bad fuel pump relay, possibly the crank or cam sensors. Fuel filter, etc etc. A lot of money can be spent replacing all of those parts, especially if the one that really fixes it is the last one you change.

Just my opinion,
    Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Original owner:
    1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
    1984 Buick Riviera
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD

Enginerepairshop.com