- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any Happy Petronics Users?

Wish I could say I had a good experience, but I didn't. Mine started cutting out going down the interstate, and it died and then refired and exploded two monster flames out of the exhaust pipes, and lit up the night. Had two modules in two months and put the points back in, and it runs great. I may try a different brand in the future, but probably not Pertronix. I think Accel makes a points eliminator kit that I might try.
    Love my old 62 Invicta. That is back when they made cars.

67Survivor Guest

I have a set in my 66 GTO, 389-tripower for the past 3 years. No problems yet. I still carry along a spare set of points and the lead back to the coil just in case. It might not run well with the points slapped in, but a crummy running motor is better than no running motor especially if you are out in the middle of no where.

nailhead63 Guest

Thumbs down Unilite is better

I had a bad experience with the pertronix. I switched to the Mallory unilite module 5 years ago, and have had no problems. Timing accuracy is dead-on. It installs easily, is just as covert, and plugs right into the Mallory Hyfire box (if you choose to use one). I will never use any pertronix product again.

I have two Pertronix units and love both of them. One is in 350 Skylark street car ( 11.90s in quarter) the other in GSX show car. Never any problems , run great and start good hot or cold. IF I do have a problem I will get another Pertronix I am so satisfied with both units.

Me(68 wildcat 86,000 orig) and my father(71 electra 40,000 orig.) both just recently had bad experiences(both coil and module went at same time). But i still replaced module and coil(ignitor1, points in glovebox). My old man went back to points ,oem coil, and resistor wire. We both put over 20,000 miles on pertronix system over an approx. 10 year period. I still sold on the system. My car gets better gas mileage and will outrun his car(seems detune) now.

Ignjtion

Quote Originally Posted by mottrodder View Post
    There has been a lot of posts recently detailing bad experiences with Petronics ignition modules. I have a unit in my 322. As far as I can tell, it ran flawlessly for about 2 years prior to my purchasing the car and has ran without incident for the year I have had it. Now every time I drive the car, I think about all those posts about ignition problems. I would be nice to hear from some happy Petronics users or am I one of the few atypical lucky ones?
    I had one in a 67 Skylark for 18 years and never had any trouble with it. I now have one in my 66 but only got 14,000 miles on it. have not had any problems with this one either. Les

I have 3 Pertonix units that have always worked flawlessly, the oldest going back to about 2000.
    1. 1952 Buick 320
    2. 1960 Chevy 348
    3. 1960 Chevy C-10 with a mid 80s 305 - I pulled out the stock GM HEI and dropped in an old 283 dist.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 09-03-2014 at 01:55 AM.

had points for 6 months no issues. then changed to pertronix. I have had both 6V and 12V in my 52 263. 1 year as 6V ingniter2 with napa internal resister coil, no issues. 3 years with 12V ingniter2. had flamethrower coil and I left the key on overnight which smoked the coil. replace with napa coil and all is good. next I'll be sending my dizzy to Bubba. He actually said to keep the Pertronix and he would rework the curve. winter project.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

I have used Pertronix in all of my Buicks for the last 25 years and have had no problems with them.
    Airy Cat

1954 41D
    1955 46R
    1956 63D
    1998 Jeep Wrangler
    2007 Corvette Coupe

Went back to points. Breakerless se ignition conversion developed a misfire. cleared up with points. going to add a MSD box triggered by points for winter projeck