- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Happy Petronics Users?

Any Happy Petronics Users?

There has been a lot of posts recently detailing bad experiences with Petronics ignition modules. I have a unit in my 322. As far as I can tell, it ran flawlessly for about 2 years prior to my purchasing the car and has ran without incident for the year I have had it. Now every time I drive the car, I think about all those posts about ignition problems. I would be nice to hear from some happy Petronics users or am I one of the few atypical lucky ones?

my pertronix has been in the car for 6-7 years now. roughly 15,000 trouble free miles.

jsf515 Guest
    i'm just finishing up my engine rebuild and had installed a pertronix kit. also installed an msd 6a and an msd coil. i'm sure if it was all wired up correctly and the distributer wasn't installed 180 off, it would have worked great! (oh well, that's part of the learning curve, eh?)

instead the unit isn't working, the points are back in, and unless the pertronix gang replace the unit, i'm sticking with them.

Just insalled a Pertronix unit and coil in my 1950. So far, all is well. Starting seems to be have improved a lot.

Gary

Smile

I use Pertronix in both my 1955 Buicks,only good experiences so far! Over all improvements,easy start,better idling etc.
    Soulbrother

pertronix

I've got a pertronix ignitor 2 in my 66 skylark GS & never had any problems with it, its a great piece for the price.

bmitchell Guest

pertronics instead of points.....

the only thing I'm finding is that the motor has to "spin" a little longer to start...points fire up quick...but once started...everything is better....considering "nailhead" technology!.....

fatbuick Guest
    I was happy with my Ignitor II but it did fail after 2 years. I would have been happy to persevere with another one but I found the after-sales-service to be very poor indeed. I had to move heaven and earth to get a replacement unit under the 36 mth warranty they offer. Cars Inc kept fobbing me off to Pertronix and vise-versa.

When I got my replacement out them after 3 months I put it on eBay and promptly sold it to get some of my original investment back. Suggets you at least keep a spare set of points in the car at all times.

I have recently had a Distributor for my 425 nailhead built by Dave's Small Body HEI's and it's great because he gives you all the part numbers needed should it fail which are available off the shelf. I keep a complate spare distributor with points in the trunk at all times.

Pertronix User

I have a Pertronix Unit in my '64 Skylark. Haven't had any problems. Been in for about a year. Starts easier and is more responsive on the road. Seems to beat checking points and replacing parts etc.
    SoCalSkylark

Thanks to all who responded. I feel better after reading some positive remarks. I agree with fat buick: When I find a distributor for my 56 nailhead, I'll keep it in the vehicle. It's too bad after the sale service was less than satisfactory. Hope I never have to find out myself.