From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6

Thread: '89 Century - Trouble starting when cold

cokeboy Guest

Talking

I've got an '89 Century with the 3.3l engine and its been giving me trouble the last couple days.

With the engine cold, you have to crank the starter for about 8-10 seconds till the engine starts. If the engine is turned off, and sits for 1/2 hour or less, it'll start right up. But after sitting for a couple hours, it takes another 8-10 seconds of cranking. Now, we've had some heavy rainfall over the last couple of days, so I'm not sure if something might have gotten wet?? It's also starting to get warmer in my area and that may or may not be a factor?

Any ideas,
    Thanks

sounds like you've got a condensation problem in your ignition system. change the plugs and wires, and the distributor cap and rotor (if you have them). this should eliminate the problem.

hope this helps
    Ben

cokeboy Guest

Talking

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

RonLange Guest

if that doesn't check out,(i hope it does)
    it could be possible that your fuel system is losing its prime, although this may be a less likely problem

cokeboy Guest

Talking

Thanks Ron, I'll keep that in mind too.

cokeboy Guest

No Luck.
    Replaced the plugs and wires. This engine has the electronic ignition (D.I.S. I believe they call it) so really nothing to replace there. Used dielectric grease and wire dryer where I could. It ran OK yesterday, but after sitting overnight it had trouble starting again.

Ron mentioned the fuel system losing prime. What could cause that?... bad fuel pump, or a leak between the fuel pump and injectors?

Bear with me now (I know little about fuel injection). I would assume my system has some sort of engine temp sensor(s) that tells when the engine is cool and needs a richer fuel mixture for starting (choke). Could I be having a problem with that sensor, or some electrical problem connected with it?

Thanks for any help.

cokeboy, i tend to agree with your last post, re: temperature sensor. you could very well have a condensation issue, but it seems from your original post that the overnight 'cold soak' is the culprit. a fresh temperature sensor could only help, especially, if it is the original factory piece.

cokeboy Guest

Went out last night and got a new temp sensor.
    Haven't looked under the hood yet. Can someone give me an idea where the sensor is located??
    Its a 1989 Buick Century Limited, 3.3l V6.
    Many Thanks.

my engine is an 1988 3.8l but it should be representative. the sensor is located in the valley at the furthest point forward in the block and directly behind the belt tensioner. hope this helps.