- Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble starting 64 Riv

floridariv64 Guest

Question

Hello, I'm a bit new to the Buick world, but have been smitten by a '64 Riv. It had been stored for a while so the gas was stale and the needles were stuck. After tapping the bowls with a hammer [img]graemlins/smash.gif[/img] , they unstuck. I added as much 93 octane as would fit in the tank, and she ran. She wouldn't idle, but ran, pretty well. I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and that seemed to help. The muffler and pipes were rusted through so I removed the rear pipes an muffler from just forward of the rear axle on back. Now the car won't really start. It fires, but just seems to "chug" and stall. My question is, does the muffler add needed back pressure to run the engine. I know on these nailheads, it's all about torque. If not, any ideas would be very helpful. I have since replaced the plugs and points but to no avail.
    P.S. I know it is getting fuel to the carb.
    P.S.S I have a muffler on order off Ebay

Pour some of that 93 octane in the carb, and see if it will run! Old gas will cause LOTS of problems!
    Joe T
    37Buick coupe /455 powered
    40 Super convert
    72 GS455 convert 13.0/105
    69 Buick Sportwagon
    92 Road,aster wagon
    04 Rendezvous

floridariv64 Guest

Ok, I've replaced the points, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, fuel lines, and rebuilt the carb. The gas smells fine now, but she still won't start. When I turn the key, the engine turns over and fires, but only fires as fast as the starter will spin it. The instant let go of the ignition, it stops. It seems to be getting fuel (I can smell the gas). I checked the plugs for spark, and they are firing. I haven't messed up the timing, only slightly rotated the distributor to adjust the timing, after it wouldn't fire. Anyway, any help would be wonderful.

Oh, any ideas on why the gas in the carb turns green, while the gas in the line is normal (yellowish). Since it has the Carter AFB I thought maybe it was from the aluminum.

Oh, any ideas on why the gas in the carb turns green, while the gas in the line is normal (yellowish).

[bob points]
    THAT'S not riiiiiigggggghhhhhtt. i got no idea but it sure does sound funky.

have you tried pouring fuel down the throat of the carb like old guy suggested? you know, just to be sure?

after that, i think you need to get out the timing light.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

floridariv64 Guest

Okay, still not sure what the green gas is, but I have checked the voltage to the coil. With the ignition in the run position the coil only gets 5 volts. Am I right in thinking that it should be getting around 9v or so? I ran a hard line of the positive terminal and put a .8ohm resistor inline. This bumps the voltage to a little over 7v. This got the car running, if you can call it that, but it still just chugs once I get it started. I also tried the resistor with an msd blaster coil I had lying around, this seems to yield the best results, but still chugging. I checked the gaps again on the plugs and set them to .36, since I think thats the correct spec, still no change. However in the rear cylinders (7 and 8) I found what I believe to be unburnt fuel on the plugs. Anyway, origionally this car ran pretty good, didn't miss or anything, just wouldn't idle. I took the muffler off and it has done this ever since. I know running straight pipes on most engines lets it run even better, but is there any chance at all that it needs a little back-pressure to run right? I know that sounds crazy [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] , just seems wierd that the problems started after I took it off. Any help with any of this, again, would be of great help.

Oh yeah, yes I have tried pouring gas down the carb, doesn't seem to make a difference.

floridariv64 Guest

Okay, seems to be a fuel/ fuel delivery problem. I decided to run a line from a different fuel tank with fresh gas and it seems to have helped, the car runs now, but still won't rev very high, it acts like it is under load. Since it ran , I was able to adjust the timming and that seems to be fine. As it runs, the carb shoots up a mist of fuel, if that says anything. It runs rough, like 1 or more cylinders is dead. It's worth mentioning at this point that when I rebuilt the carb I had I hard time removing one of the jets and may have marred it a bit, might the rod not be sealing right if the jet is damaged? Well, I guess thats a dumb question, of course it could. Anyway, I am thinking about buying replacments from summit, I just don't know what size I need. The damaged one is a primary jet. I don't care about high performance, just looking for close to stock. Help me please.

you are narrowing down the possibilites on that green gasoline. it might be coming from contamination with rubber, either in the fuel line or the diaphragm in the fuel pump.
    to me, the rough running could very well be the result of poor ground straps. after all, the car has been sleeping for some time. if you scuff up all of the contact areas and apply some electrical contact grease, you might see an improvement.
    if you remove that questionable jet and pass the rod through it, you will know soon enough if it is damaged.

When you go to the automotive part store. Ask for what is referred to as 'Dilectic" Grease. I think that is the term that is being used.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

yeah, thats it. dilectric....couldn't think of the term when i wrote the post. thanks.

I just wanted to make sure, just in case.

If there was another product available out there I would want to know about it.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861