- Buick Cam Specifications for 401 and 425 nailheads
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Oil Pump Rebuild

Any one have any advice on oil pump rebuild. I bought a rebuild kit and it has heavier springs, should I use them or the old spring? The new ones are 60 and 80. The motor is a 1967 400 out of a GS 400.

The best advicce I coudl think of to this questions woudl be to ask the manufacturer why the springs are different.

It could be because the existing springs are worn out on your existing oil pump, but I would check with rebuild kit manufacturer

I would assume that the 60 and 80 is that they are designed to produce 60 and 80 lbs of pressure. I am not a big fan of excessive pressure. The Buick motors have oil system improvement which many performance people like to make.

Why are you rebuilding your oil pump, and how did the components look when you took it apart. What was the clearance between the housing and the gears (measure with a feeler guage)? I ask these questions because maybe you have low oil pressure and it may not be the oil pump. The Buick motor is known for cam bearing failure which drops the oil pressure.

I would not use the 80, I may not even use the 60, I would probably put a shim in behind the original spring just to bring it up 5- 10 lbs.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks for getting back to me, especially on Easter. I am replacing the oil pump, due to the engine being idle for 25 years and I am replacing the timing cover, so I thought I sould rebuild the oil pump as well. Thanks for your thoughts on the 60 80, that is what I was asking, I was afraid that was too much pressure.