- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: engine problems- HELP!!!!!!!!

buicklover53 Guest

Angry

I have a 1954 Buick Special 41D with a V8-264 3 speed manual transmission. And I cannot for the life of me get her to run. She turns over great and sounds like she almost wants to, but doesnt.

I have changed: voltage reg,spark plugs, starter relay, spark plug wires, distb cap and inter. parts, starter rebuilt, carb new/rebuilt, new coil, battery, ignition switch-modern, modern fuel pump and filters and lines, horn relay,

Needs new water pump-leaks- Any ideas, cause Im fresh out! :mad: Im sure its something minor cause its almost there and drives me crazy! LOL Please email me, thanks. buicklover53@aol.com

First thing I do when a motor won't run is to stick a timing light on and make sure that every cylinder is firing, then while it's on I check the timing. Is your timing correct?

If the ignition sparks (at the right time) and it won't run, you probably have a fuel problem.

-Bob Cunningham
    bobc@gnttype.org

Joker51 Guest

Question

buicklover, does it fire if you pour a little gas down the carb?
    Not sure if you can do that with the older engines, But I know with my 74 camaro I could, if it fires that way then you are looking at a fuel issue, either not enough fuel getting to the carb or none at all.
    To check the flow. remove the line going into the carb and stick a tin can under it, make sure the container is metal, gas will eat almost all other materials. and have someone crank it over once, should spill fuel into the can, if it does lines are good, if just dribbles fuel in then plugged line or bad pump.
    If good fuel flow then rebuild the carb.
    If does not start when you put fuel directly in the carb, check the timing.
    Thats what I would try if I was you.

61special Guest

Exclamation

No mention of if you've checked/replaced alternator. If there's no spark, then wouldn't the alternator be blamed for not giving power to the coil, then to the distributor....

Fuel can't be a problem if there's no spark. Fuel would be the next problem, but you've already tended to the pump and all that.

DeuceNa1/4 Guest

The alternator NEVER supplies power to the coil. It doesn't even have to be on the car for it to start.

Be sure the voltage to the coil is at least 6volts. Double check the point gap, and replace the condenser/capacitor. I have seen many of them bad out of the box.

Does the coil have a capacitor on the side of it? Unhook it! That is a radio supression capacitor, and if they go bad the coil will not function.