- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: 425 question

Gearheadbill Guest

Thumbs up

I'm new to this board. I'm putting together a 65 425 GS engine, which will power a 1932 Ford coupe. I have all the machine work done, engine is assembled etc. My question is: centered, at the top of the timing cover, is a cast-in round relief/recess, about 1.250/1.500" in dia.This recessed area has a small passage way which connects it to the water passages around the water pump. What goes here? I bought the motor in a completely torn down state, so I have no reference. HELP!!

That is for the water manifold between the heads and water pump. An O-ring fits on the manifold and seats in the passage you described. The thermostat housing is on top of the water manifold. Below is a picture of the front of my 425:

Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Gearheadbill Guest

Dr.,

Thanks for the reply. As I was further assembling the externals of the engine yesterday, 2 other things popped up. #1. I am using a spreadbore (Q-jet) intake. The manifold sits the carb at quite a downward angle (front to back) as compared to the squarebore intake. My coupe has some nose down rake anyway; this just adds to the issue of fuel to the rear float bowl (I'm using a Holley spread bore carb). Am I going to be OK or should I place a wedge spacer to flatten out the carb?

#2. Are the upper fan belt pulleys for a 425 interchangeable with other make i.e. Chevy (other)
    I do NOT have an upper pulley. Perhaps GM designed interchangeability will help me out here?

Thanks for your time helping out a Buick rookie.

PS. The fuel pump I got with the motor has REALLY small inlet/outlet port size. Can this big motor (mine is modified somewhat) get by with this, or should I go to an electric pump and block off the stocker?

Bill,

You will be OK with no spacer under the carb. That is a Quadrajet on mine, and it sat fine in the 66 GS. There was no significant level change when going from the square-bore to the spread-bore intake in that car.

I think you need a Buick specific pulley for the water pump. I have never heard that anything else will fit. I would place an add in the classifieds here, and I bet you can pick one up cheap.

The Nailhead operates in a lower RPM range requiring less air and fuel at the low RPM of the upper RPM limit. In stock form it does not require more than a stock fuel pump. That being said, I am going with a Holley blue pump or Mallory 140 for mine. It has some head porting, a larger cam, a CD ignition system and headers. It will spin a little faster then stock, and move more air/fuel mixture through the engine at the same RPM. I am also using a ½” pick-up and line to the regulator.

Hope that helps. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)