- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump

Thread: ' 55 Century Throttle Linkage comes apart

' 55 Century Throttle Linkage comes apart

First of all, thanks in advance for any help. I am an experienced car guy but new to Buicks. I am trying to repair my uncles car for him since he is no longer physically capable.
    It is a pretty much stock 55 century that went through a recent engine/trans rebuild. If you put the throttle to the floor while driving(or even while starting if you don't go easy), the throttle linkage pops apart at the ball and socket joint that attaches the pedal rod to the linkage mounted on the firewall. I pulled the rod from the back of pedal and the ball stud out of the car. I can easily put them together or pull them apart with my hands. The socket side of the joint shows marks around the back side that make me think there was a retaining clip that should be on there. It has nothing but what little press fit remains to hold it together and I have not yet found a parts diagram that gives me a close enough look at this part.
    Can anyone confirm that there should or shouldn't be a retaining clip on this joint? If so where can I find one?
    If there is not supposed to be some sort of retainer there, does anyone know of a fix? I am sure someone had been down this road before.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by More Dirt View Post
    First of all, thanks in advance for any help. I am an experienced car guy but new to Buicks. I am trying to repair my uncles car for him since he is no longer physically capable.
    It is a pretty much stock 55 century that went through a recent engine/trans rebuild. If you put the throttle to the floor while driving(or even while starting if you don't go easy), the throttle linkage pops apart at the ball and socket joint that attaches the pedal rod to the linkage mounted on the firewall. I pulled the rod from the back of pedal and the ball stud out of the car. I can easily put them together or pull them apart with my hands. The socket side of the joint shows marks around the back side that make me think there was a retaining clip that should be on there. It has nothing but what little press fit remains to hold it together and I have not yet found a parts diagram that gives me a close enough look at this part.
    Can anyone confirm that there should or shouldn't be a retaining clip on this joint? If so where can I find one?
    If there is not supposed to be some sort of retainer there, does anyone know of a fix? I am sure someone had been down this road before.

Thanks again
    I had the same problem, and ended up buying a used one that was in better shape and replaced it. I don't think a retainer was used. I have heard of some people trying to add material to the ball to get it to stay in place, not sure of the long term success of this method.