- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump

Thread: Stromberg AAUVB emulsion tube question

Post Stromberg AAUVB emulsion tube question

I have a 51 special with a Stromberg AAUVB-267 on it and am having trouble with intermittent surging while cruising at constant speed. The engine/carb seems to like being under load on acceleration but once I hit a constant speed there is this minor surge that is annoying me. Some quick background. I believe this to be a fuel problem and not an electrical problem as I have done quite a few improvements to the distributor/plugs/wires etc.... While I cannot rule electrical out 100% I have several old school mechanics in the family who have listened and chimed in and the consensus is that it is a fuel issue. I have rebuilt the carb including filing the warped air horn (big improvement) with the exception of removing the jets and the emulsion tubes. The reason being is that in (both) my rebuild kits (I bought a spare) there were no lead gaskets to replace the ones that my manual says need to be replaced when the jets are removed. I have also seen threads about emulsion tube removal on Stromberg 97's but I am not sure that the emulsion tubes on my AAUVB are indeed removable. Jets are for sure with the proper tool. My thought is that I have 65 years of debris plugging up the tiny holes in the emulsion tubes that is messing with the mixture. The carb was soaked in carb cleaner during the rebuild but after looking at threads on what those tubes can like like even after soaking I have my doubts about the cleanliness of them. If anyone has experience tackling this issue and how you overcame the problem I would much appreciate your input.

did you use compressed air in addition to the carb cleaner soak?

some of the particulates won't actually be dissolved by the soak and need to be blown or brushed ( use a pipe cleaner brush for larger passages and acetylene torch files for the narrow ones ) away in order to actually get the carb cleaned out.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)