- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Engine and production identification numbers

Engine and production identification numbers

Hi there everyone, I'm a new member on this site so would like to ask all you knowledgeable Buick fans out there a question.

My engine production numbers and serial numbers don't seem to tally with what i have read on the net.

Any information you can give me would be most appreciated.

My production number seems to read b308b3

And my engine serial number seems to read bE40,2894I

The engine block casting reads 1172889 which indicates according to information i have read to be a 1959 manufactured block.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Rockabilly Boy.

Hi there again, I'm sorry, that identification number that i stated in my last post as being the block number is actually the head casting number of 117289 i can't seem to find the block casting number anywhere apart from a 15 on the left hand side of the engine block ( can anyone tell where the block casting number is located on a 1958 nailhead please? assuming thats what is in my car?) as looked at from the front of the car. The production number seems to read b308b3 and the engine serial number seems to read bE40, 2894I i am seeking information regarding these serial numbers please. I hope somebody out there can help me. Many thanks and kind regards, Rockabilly boy.

Where to find the correct numbers

Casting numbers were the same for many engines for different periods of time. You need to find the 'engine code' which is stamped, not cast, into the block. The link with accompanying pictures will tell you where to find them.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/i...gine_where.php

Once you get those numbers, you'll want to use one of these links to ID the engine.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/i...gine_59-62.php or
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/i...gine_63-75.php

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Ed

Hi there Ed, thanks for the links you sent me for my 1958 Buick Super Riviera. I had looked at them prior to me leaving my message on this site. The engine code that is stamped into the top right hand side of the block as seen from the front of the car is the bE40,2894I and the production code b30863 is stamped in upside down on the left hand side as viewed from the front of the car on a cover just behind these numbers is production code and engine code with an arrow pointing to the relevant numbers. Any other ideas on how i can identify my engine, capacity and year of manufacture please anyone and everyone?
    Many thanks and kind regards, Rockabilly Boy.

I couldn't understand your production number until I noticed you are from "Hamilton, Canada". Canadian cars used a different production number on the nailheads and I am afraid we haven't found any information about it to put on the site. You should change your b to 6, and forget about the comma and the I can easily be used in place of a 1.

With that in mind, your serial number becomes 6E4028941 which works as a 1958 364 from a 60 series car. It is quite possible that some late production engines from '58 found their way into early '59s.
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/i...gine_53-58.php

You head casting number 1172889 shows as 57 to 61 364.
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/c...s_nailhead.php

We do have this: http://www.teambuick.com/forums/cont...bers-1935-1964

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

6E4028941 is the serial number from the donor car and would match the frame number for that car (located driver door jamb). 1957 was the first year for numbers matching frame and engine serial numbers in Buick. As Bob points out, this engine is from a 1958 60 Series (Century) car and thus not original to a 50 Series (Super) car. In 1958 they did not use a production code, that started in 1959. In 1958 all they used was an serial number, which is 630863 for the engine in your car. When stamping engines Buick often used I for 1, b for 6, and an upside down b for 9.

6E4028941
    6 = Series 60/Century
    E = 1958 model year
    4 = built at Kansas City, KS
    028941 = sequential number, range was 001001 to 031146 for Kansas City, KS built cars for 1958 model year
    Sean Smith
    BCA# 42746
    MBCC# 2122
    SAH# 4186
    Buickman Award 2015

1957 Special 4-door Riviera (hardtop) model 43