- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: dual exhaust conversion

dual exhaust conversion

Hello again everyone.
    i have a '58 Century Riviera. As you know, this car was standard with the 364 4bbl 300 HP Nailhead. Why would Buick put a single exhaust on this power-house? My question is...will i need to replace the manifolds to run dual exhaust or the manifolds for the single system work?

Thanks!

Why would Buick put a single exhaust on this power-house?

Buicks tend to be low rpm torque monsters. you're unlikely to turn 6000rpm without significant intake mods. without the large volume of air that high rpm produces, you can actually hurt your performance by going too big on the exhaust because it will kill velocity if the pipe is too big.

also, a single large pipe will tend to flow better than two smaller pipes of the same cross section ... due to having more surface area ( drag ) per volume than the single.

this is not to say that a custom, mandrel bend dual exhaust would not be an improvement. the OEM exhaust is designed for cheap, quick mass production. maximizing performance is NOT what they were primarily concerned with.

will i need to replace the manifolds to run dual exhaust

more performance is found in headers than in dual exh anyways ( assuming the exh is not already too restrictive ), why would you not be getting headers?

regardless, the stock manifolds should be fine for duals.

http://www.taperformance.com/products.asp?cat=386

you notice that even TA is using 2 1/2" pipe for their secondary for some of their 425s? i certainly wouldn't go over 2 1/2" on a dual system. and even then i'd only run the 2 1/2" back to an X crossover and then neck down to 2" beyond that.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thank you!!

Thanks Bob.
    Not really interested in the maximum performance i can get but that is interesting that running duals can hurt performance. My Century will be a cruiser...hopefully. i just prefer the sound and look of the duals.

my first challenge will be un-sticking the nailhead. it sat for a long time and froze up. the guy i got it from said he tried to turn it but couldn't get it to budge. but he didn't pull the plug or nothing so i'm not sure he knew what he was doing.

I will take ALL advice and tips.

Thanks!

Jim

I know this is an old thread, but if you are doing it just for the sound you might want to run a single exhaust for most of the length of the car, then split the exhaust after the rear axle. Would be cheaper and have the same result, and I suspect the underside of the car isn't friendly to routing dual pipes (but I might be very wrong here).

If you are going for all-out performance and want duals for that purpose, then go ahead. But having a single exhaust isn't going to hurt anything until you are over 5500 RPM or something like that...

-BC

I sorta beg to differ. On my STOCK '55 Special with a 264 & standard trans. I noticed a BIG improvement in POWER & an increase in MPG. Part of the "Secret" is NOT going to big as mentioned. In your case I would keep it around 2", but no LARGER then 2 1/4".
    Just my thoughts on the subject at hand.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"