From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6

Thread: 225 Odd Fire questions....

225 Odd Fire questions....

I have a 1959 jeep that has an Odd Fire engine in it. Iv searched high and low and have found some info on my engine but not all of it. Browsing around on this site i already found some good info like spec sheets and other details.

This is what i have:

block casting number- 1381623 So its between 1964-67 225, 3.7 liter
    heads- B-1376348 Belong on a 225, made in '66
    manifold- B13618652 Cant find any thing on this on. Its a single barrel carb manifold.
    Carb- 7022945 The actual Rochester data tag is missing. This is whats stamped down at the base. Single barrel carb.

Im curious about the manifold and why i cant find any info on it. As for the heads any thing more then they were made in 66 i also haven't been able to find specs for. The engine still runs great, I plan on using it to get me through this hunting season. This winter i want to pull it and do a full rebuild on it. MY buddy says he has a 2 barrel manifold sitting in his garage for me that i thought about putting on maybe but i kinda like the fuel economy of the little Rochester. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by BlockLife View Post
    I have a 1959 jeep that has an Odd Fire engine in it. Iv searched high and low and have found some info on my engine but not all of it. Browsing around on this site i already found some good info like spec sheets and other details.

This is what i have:

block casting number- 1381623 So its between 1964-67 225, 3.7 liter
    heads- B-1376348 Belong on a 225, made in '66
    manifold- B13618652 Cant find any thing on this on. Its a single barrel carb manifold.
    Carb- 7022945 The actual Rochester data tag is missing. This is whats stamped down at the base. Single barrel carb.

Im curious about the manifold and why i cant find any info on it. As for the heads any thing more then they were made in 66 i also haven't been able to find specs for. The engine still runs great, I plan on using it to get me through this hunting season. This winter i want to pull it and do a full rebuild on it. MY buddy says he has a 2 barrel manifold sitting in his garage for me that i thought about putting on maybe but i kinda like the fuel economy of the little Rochester. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/cont...6_engine_specs
    Idk if this is what you're looking for, but it has a lot of info on the 225

Ya thats a lot of good info. Thats one of the pages in particular i had mentioned about finding a lot of good info on this site so far.

there's really not a whole lot of interest in the ( really ) old Buick 6s ( 196, 198, 225, odd fire 231 ). almost everybody that wants to run a Buick v6 goes with the even fire 231, smoother engine and slightly more displacement and pretty much drop in replacement. you could even go with a 4.1 liter for your truck application.

as far as the casting numbers go, all the info for the Buick small block v8 / Land Rover / v6 family is really spotty. we're missing more info than we've got, i think.

any specific questions that you've got, we'll help as best we can.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    there's really not a whole lot of interest in the ( really ) old Buick 6s ( 196, 198, 225, odd fire 231 ). almost everybody that wants to run a Buick v6 goes with the even fire 231, smoother engine and slightly more displacement and pretty much drop in replacement. you could even go with a 4.1 liter for your truck application.

Actually Bob, the 225 and 231 Odd fire is the single most popular engine for any Willys M38A1, CJ2A, CJ3A engine swap. If you rock crawl, the odd fire is the one you want....in combination with the heavy flywheel and the High Output distributor. Niche market I know....but the even fire is not desirable at all for that market. If you ask 10 guys with flatties on the Rubicon what engine they have...9.5 out of 10, say odd fire 225/231. 3 alone...just in my family.

Block life....you have gem for 4 wheeling.

If you rock crawl, the odd fire is the one you want....in combination with the heavy flywheel and the High Output distributor.

why wouldn't you install a 4.1L and put the heavy flywheel on that?

that big flywheel IS the 'big advantage' for truck work, isn't it?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    If you rock crawl, the odd fire is the one you want....in combination with the heavy flywheel and the High Output distributor.

why wouldn't you install a 4.1L and put the heavy flywheel on that?

that big flywheel IS the 'big advantage' for truck work, isn't it?
    I think a few reasons....space for one. My odd fire barely fits front to back, with room for a nice size radiator. You can put in an odd fire v-6 into a flat fender and not have to do anything at the firewall. And considering the Flat fenders, aren't exactly spacious to begin with, it helps. The odd fire has better low end torque than the even....not sure how it compares to the 4.1l. I'm no motor guru. My cousin built my motor in 1987, and if I remember correctly the cam we put in, produced max torque at 1500rpm...very low...which is perfect. I have disc brakes and with 5.38's, it's hard to stop in 1st gear.

And yes! That heavy flywheel on the odd fire, is awesome. When you combine the low end grunt of the odd-fire, the strange sound of the odd-fire skipping the 2 cylinders and that heavy flywheel...I've literally had that motor stop running for 1-2 seconds....and suddenly hear...plut, plut, plut....and fire back up. Fun to watch your passenger get confused over how it was still running.

space for one.

no, the 225, 231 and 252 all use the 3.40" stroke from the Buick 300ci ( all of the Buick v6s from 64 on are based on this engine, 300*6/8=225 ) v8. the 231 ( 3.80" ) and 252 ( 3.965" ) are just bore jobs on the original 3.75" block. i'm pretty sure they're even all the same deck height.

the main physical difference between the later evenfire engines and the earlier odd fire 231 and 225 are that the even fire engines use a crankshaft that has six individual throws on it as opposed to three throws being shared by paired connecting rods.

The odd fire has better low end torque than the even

that's where the heavy flywheel comes into play.

i think the biggest reason that Jeep guys like the 225 is because Kaiser ( who owned Jeep at the time ) was installing them ( along with Buick 350 v8s ) into certain Jeep models from 1968-71.

Buicks have always been known for low end torque, that's their calling card. there was a magazine ( Hot Rod? ) comparison some years back where they compared a bunch of 'odd ball' big blocks and the Buick 455 had more torque at 2000rpm than the Caddy 500 did. the Caddy had a higher peak #, but no other engine in the comparo came close to the low end grunt of that Buick.
    Vladimir Lenin