- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: 401 nailhead unseized

401 nailhead unseized

I have been gifted a 1961 Buick invicta convertable, original from Hollywood C.A, was brought over to the U.K and was in a bad accident in London, my dad bought the car and had it repaired and used it often. The last time it was used was in 1983 then put in a garage and left, in the last couple of years people have been trying to get it going which resulted in a small fire. The has been left now for about 2-3 years in the garge when I came to it a couple of weeks ago the engine was seized solid, tried hot oil, diesel and various other methods but no luck, untill somebody told me about putting coke down the bores?? So we tried it within a hour of putting the coke in the Buick was turning over on the key!!! But there is a horrible squeaking sound and the engine goes tight when turning over by hand.

I'm gonna have the motor out and rebuild it and have it painted back to original.

I have never heard of anyone pouring Coke into an engine before now, but I suppose there is a first time for everything. Coke contains phosphoric acid, which is a common ingredient in commercial rust removal products, so that could be the reason it worked for you.

That said, it can't possibly be good for the engine to leave the Coke in there for any length of time. I would strongly recommend disassembling the engine as soon as possible and cleaning the parts.

Ray

Next time just use a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil with a little dash of "A Must For Rust" mixed in. You can leave this concoction in for as long as you need it will eventually drip down into the pan but still leave a coating with no rust. Coke soft drinks have water in them and that's a no-no for prolonged contact. Keep up the good work and keep everyone posted on your progress.
    Thanks in Advance!

David

Born Buick - " I like things just the way they were and drive-em just the way they are "

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    I have never heard of anyone pouring Coke into an engine before now, but I suppose there is a first time for everything. Coke contains phosphoric acid, which is a common ingredient in commercial rust removal products, so that could be the reason it worked for you.

That said, it can't possibly be good for the engine to leave the Coke in there for any length of time. I would strongly recommend disassembling the engine as soon as possible and cleaning the parts.

Ray
    Hi Ray, I'm taking the engine out on Sunday have the block and bores checked over and then having a full rebuild, and engine bay painted, I drained all the fluids out as soon as it was turning on the key, put some fresh oil in and cranked it over with the plugs out.