- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with my 364?

What would you do with my 364?

So I have a completely original 57 special. It has been in storage in a barn since 72 and was just released and sold to me last year. I haven't done much with it, just take it out for a few minutes here and there in all it's barn find glory. Well, the time has come for me to get crackin on some maintenance. The radiator will need to be repaired or replaced. I've not gotten a quote for repair, but before I do, I'd love some suggestions for replacement. 57 Buick radiators seem to be rather hard to come by. Next i know I'll want to do a tune up, plugs, wires etc. All the rubber needs to be replaced so that'll be done as well.

Beyond that, what would you nail-heads recommend for more flavor out of my 364? It's the base model with dbl barrel carb and single exhaust (which is rotted). Any big advantages to bumping up to 4bbl and dual exhaust? What else in the engine would you suggest I give thorough attention based on it's age?

first off GM didn't build radiators , just for buicks , if yours is beyond repair and you don't want to buy a new one , go out to your local bone yard , do alil measuring and look at other buicks , olds , caddy's . as for the exhaust if it needs replacing now is the time to go to duals and you bet i would change over from single exhaust. finding a four barrel intake manifold might be the hardest part , look on e-bay or again the local bone yard for oneand yes if the carb needed rebuilding nows the time to do it . just my thoughts on the subject.
    wolfie

Thanks Wolf,

I was pretty sure there where other radiators that would fit, I just can never seem to find them listed and didn't want to order one off the internetwebs and have it need modification when it arrived. I'll do some poking around at the local salvage yards.

4 barrel and duals

I like the dual idea. I know it made a difference on my 401. If you can find a stock 4 barrel intake that would be a nice addition as well. That would wake that engine up for sure.
    How about some pictures
    62 Invicta with 70,000 original miles. Dual exhaust otherwise stock. Blast to drive.

Pics like these?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The 364 shares the same bellhousing diameter as the 401. Find a 325 hp 401 from a 59 - 63 (4 barrel dual exhausts) and swap it into your '57. You'll have to do some mods to your motor mounts but that shouldn't be a big deal.

The tanks on your radiator are what are unique to your '57. Have a radiator shop solder the old tanks to a new core - preferably a 3 row - and you know it will fit and the hoses and tranny lines will bolt right up. You'll also be secure in knowing that you have a "new" radiator rather than someone else's problems from a salvaged unit.

Ed

Thank YOu

Nice pics. Style is a thing of the past. We didn't realize how cool these old cars were until they were but a memory. Thank You for keeping the memories a reality.
    62 Invicta with 70,000 original miles. Dual exhaust otherwise stock. Blast to drive.

That looks good for a barn find. I agree with nailheadnut take it to a good radiator shop, that is what I did with the radiator out of my 38 Buick, put in a new core.

Spud, if you don't mind me asking, how much was your new core?

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    That looks good for a barn find. I agree with nailheadnut take it to a good radiator shop, that is what I did with the radiator out of my 38 Buick, put in a new core.

ownedcasey no problem I looked in my folder and got the receipt, I had done this in 1995 and it cost $259.00. But that's my point that was seventeen years ago and still no problem. If you are going to keep the car do it right the first time. Now you might be able to find something from a different car that with a little work can be made to work, but no modern car would work in mine. Good luck let us know what you do.
    Last edited by Spud; 01-27-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: bad math