1964-65 401
    1963 trans. flex plate and torque converter, bellhousing
    1962 crankshaft and harmonic balancer
    1963 starter
    1964 power steering pump
    1957 364 rear sump oil pan
    rear sump pick-up (on the way, thank you
    Centerville Auto Repair)
    adapter plates (on the way, thank you Centerville Auto Repair)
    block huger headers (on the way)

is there anything i am missing
    ????
    also, will my 55 trans mounts work on my 63 trans????(bought a new set awhile ago) both Dynaflows

Hey wait, I'm having one of those things again. You know, a headache with pictures....

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Slacker View Post
    will my 55 trans mounts work on my 63 trans????(bought a new set awhile ago) both Dynaflows
    I tuned in on this thread late and had to read through 7 pages worth of posts to find out what you are doing.

If I am correctly understanding what I read, you are keeping the stock 55 rear axle and torque tube and you are swapping in a 63 Dynaflow with the new engine. Is that correct? If yes, this means you will be replacing the 63 output shaft and tail housing with the equivalent parts from your 55 transmission. In that case, the transmission mounting setup will remain all stock 55, so your 55 mount and thrust pad will bolt up exactly the same as before.

If I got any of this wrong, please tell us what transmission/driveshaft setup you will be using.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 07-08-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    If I got any of this wrong, please tell us what transmission/driveshaft setup you will be using.
    No sir!! U got it on the nose!! IM using all stock 55 torque tube/driveline/ rear end and a 63 Trans. And u answered it perfectly!!!

Thank you very much!!!!
    Hey wait, I'm having one of those things again. You know, a headache with pictures....

ok, i looked at the carb i have and it missing parts and just plain bad. is there an aftermarket edelbrock carb that would work with the 401???? or should i just buy a reman STOCK carter afb?????

also, will my linkage from my 322 work with an edelbrock or would i need to change something??? im thinking a 600 cfm would be just fine for me, its just gonna b a cruiser not a racer. any recommendations on cfm???

main reason im asking is, i picked up a good edelbrock 1405 for $25 at a estate sale. it bolts up and looks like my stock carter afb. could i use it??? if so do i have to switch out anything from my stock carb or will it work???
    Last edited by Sgt_Slacker; 08-31-2012 at 03:25 PM.

If you want to use an original air cleaner, you'll need to use the top from the original carb on the Edelbrock. The Edlebrock air horn is the same size as a Rochester Quadrajet.

Check with Jon at The Carburetor Shop for an original replacement. www.thecarburetorshop.com

Ed

no, cool part is that the aftermarket repro caddie "bat wing" fits the perfect!!!

so, r u saying the carb will bolt up and work just fine???? wat about the linkage??

thanks!!!!

wow, just realized its been over a year on the engine swap with not much progress!!!
    Ive been gone A LOT for military training

here is whats changed in my plans:
    going with the ST400 instead of dynaflow
    open driveline with 63-72 Chevy C10 trailing arms, not sure what rear end yet (open to suggestions!!)
    2x4 intake with 2 600 edelebrocks (going to extend the 50's batwing air cleaner)
    block hugger headers (no worries, ive bought a new smaller steering gear box)
    mini starter
    MSD distributor (when I get the funds)
    mid Comp cam

here is what it looks like now, thanks to everyones help!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Slacker View Post
    open driveline with 63-72 Chevy C10 trailing arms, not sure what rear end yet (open to suggestions!!)
    The truck arms are a neat idea. I am surprised that more builders don't use them. You might be able to go with a truck rear. 71-72 C-10 rears have the stock Buick 5 on 5" bolt pattern. Just not sure about the width though - it may be too wide for a 55. I have 60 C-10 with similar suspension and the rear measures about 61", but that one takes 6 hole wheels.

Ray

Awlful-Houser??

Sgt. did you read my tech info at nailheadbuick.com? The Offy takes power away from the engine! about 50 hp less than a single 4 barrel that is with either the 2-4 or the 3-2.. We have found a way to correct the problem, there are 4 restrictions that must be opened up. There is also info on cam selection. You must use the 3rd largest Comp cam to get something larger than a stock Buick cam! I like the Chevy truck trailing arms, good choice and ditching the Dynaflow, another good idea. The hot rod wiring diagram is also in my tech info. You did good with the 600's as 500's are too small for nail..