- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: swapped fuel pump question

swapped fuel pump question

Due to vapor locking issues I swapped out my barely working pump for an electric one.The little breather on the intake was hooked up to the old pump.Where do i vent that to now,right now it makes a loud sucking sound and also makes the car run rough.When i cover it up the car runs smoother than ever but has problems in stop and go traffic.I did swap out the carb for a 4 bbl but that was a couple of years ago and the car never gave me any problems...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what car or motor you are working on. If you had 3 lines to mechanical fuel pump, one is suction, one is return to tank, and one is to the carburetor.

An electic pump should be mounted close to or in the fuel tank.

With a return line pump, you should not have a vapor locking issue before the pump. I would have suggested examining the lines for clearance issues from the pump to the carb, and perhaps relocating it if you don't like the electic pump. It would also be a good idea to pull the fuel tank and wash it out in case it has crap in it.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Its A 1956 special with a 322.I put in the electric pump as my original one was starting to leak also.The line i was refering to is the one that went from the manifold to the bottom of the pump.I dont know what to do with it now that the pump has been removed.

One line on your old pump was for gasoline, the other is a booster line to increase vacuum for your wiper motor. If the booster line is open now, you're sucking too much air into the intake manifold and need to plug it to keep the engine from running too lean. Reconnect that line directly from the engine to the wiper vacuum motor. Electric pumps should always be placed as close as possible to the fuel tank. I always repair or replace the original pump, then add an electric pump with a switch so it can be used as backup, or to push vapor lock through until the stock pump can get back on line.

thats what i thought...I did plug up that line to the manifold but did not know that I could run it to the wipers.The rough running in stop and go traffic must be another problem I must address.Thank you very much for the advise,I really apreciate it.