- Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Speed cut-out (fuel system problems)52 Special

Question High Speed cut-out (fuel system problems)52 Special

Hi gang!
    I have a problem with and 52 Special with the straight 8. After doing some repairs to it getting it up and running , major engine repair,boiling out the fuel tank, total carb rebuild and fuel pump rebuild. It has a peculiar fuel related symptom . I will throw in a couple of questions /symptoms hopefully this will make a clearer picture.
    1. When the engine is warmed up ,cursing down the highway about 70mph after a few miles the engine begins to cut out ,by pumping the accelerator i can keep it going until it gradually slows down to about 40mph. After a delay it runs like a champ, this continues over and over and is not noticeable at in town speeds.
    2. After the car set for a few months ,it could not be started (no fuel), i had to pour fuel down the carb to get it running ,finally the fuel pump started pumping fuel (never had a problem of this sort with an automobile before)
    3. Is the accumulator located on the outlet side of the fuel pump necessary ? It has long been removed and plugged off.
    Thanks in advance

Question High Speed cut-out (fuel system problems)52 Special

Hi gang!
    I have a problem with and 52 Special with the straight 8. After doing some repairs to it getting it up and running , major engine repair,boiling out the fuel tank, total carb rebuild and fuel pump rebuild. It has a peculiar fuel related symptom . I will throw in a couple of questions /symptoms hopefully this will make a clearer picture.
    1. When the engine is warmed up ,cursing down the highway about 70mph after a few miles the engine begins to cut out ,by pumping the accelerator i can keep it going until it gradually slows down to about 40mph. After a delay it runs like a champ, this continues over and over and is not noticeable at in town speeds.
    2. After the car set for a few months ,it could not be started (no fuel), i had to pour fuel down the carb to get it running ,finally the fuel pump started pumping fuel (never had a problem of this sort with an automobile before)
    3. Is the accumulator located on the outlet side of the fuel pump necessary ? It has long been removed and plugged off.
    Thanks in advance

I would guess that the valves in the fuel pump are sticking. I recently purchased a fuel pump kit for my 56 and the new valves supplied had this problem. I put the old ones back in and no further problem

Koala

The first step would be to test the pump for volume and pressure. You will need a pressure guage to read the 4 1/2 - 5 pounds required.

The instructions are here:
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l.../files/3-d.pdf

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

The symptoms could well be caused by a partially blocked fuel line or fuel filter which will allow only enough fuel to reach the carb to power up to some fixed RPM level.

If the car has a manual trans. it has 3.90 gears in the rear end. In '52 very few roads were capable of cruising speeds of 70MPH. The engine is turning RPM's which it really wasn't designed to do for extended period of times. Doesn't solve your fuel delivery problems, but something to think about.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Thanks in advance all , I have not had time to work on the car today. I do believe the fuel pump could be the culprit. The kit is form "cars" I'm not really impressed with some of their replacement parts, they get the job done but still believe they are of inferior quality compared to over the counter auto parts.
    I disagree with the fact the engine /car was not designed to cruse, It has a Dynaflow and gets up to highway speed without any effort, that is a clear indicator this car was top of the line in it's day and made to cruse.
    1. The original fuel cap ?? appears not to be vented like the replacement , could this be the problem / or part of the problem ??

Thanks in advance

Forgot to add that the DynaFlow equipped cars are much more "cruiser" friendly because of the more favorable rear end gearing used with them.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Fuel cap could give problems if plugged or not originally vented.

High speed cut out

For quality parts, try www.bobsautomobilia.com they are very easy to do business with.