From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supercharger pulley?????

Talking supercharger pulley?????

I have a '96 Riviera with the series II 3800 supercharged engine and I would like to get a smaller pulley for the supercharger. All the sites that I've seen them on don't list Rivieras as one of the cars the pulleys will work on. They should work on all of the supercharged engines right no matter what car they are in because the engines are all the same?

AS FAR AS I KNOW,YES A FRIEND OF MINE HAS A 2000 BUICK GS, SUPERCHARGED 3800 SERIES 2 AND GOT A USED ONE OFF A BONNIVILLE THAT WAS WRECKED,AND HAD THE SMALLER PULLEY INSTALLED ON IT. ANOTHER FRIENDS CAR,WITH SOME MODS.
    Party On,
    Big John

3. As far as I know it should have the Eaton M90 charger, so it should be the same as late model Regal GS cars and Pontiac Grand Prixs. Check out the info at www.regalgs.org for more info.

86 T-TYPE (DARK BLUE METALLIC),
    87 TURBO T (GREY METALLIC),
    87 GRAND NATIONAL (CANADIAN MODEL),
    87 CENTURY LIMITED 2.8 HO (MY FAITHFUL LITTLE DRIVER)
    98 REGAL GS (THE OTHER BLOWN BUICK)
    95 PONTIAC TRANS AM (6-SPEED, 3.42 REAR)
    06 DODGE CHARGER R/T (WIFES VEHICLE)

http://community.webshots.com/user/vicious6

I'm positive the pulley would mount to the supercharger fine, but after comparing to a friends Grand Prix we noticed that the motor mounts are in different locations. The motor mounts on the Riviera are on the side of the engine instead of the front like in the Grand Prixs. I believe if you put a smaller pulley on the Riviera the belt will get into the bracket for the motor mount on that side of the engine? I've been working on getting a dual-quad intake installed and set up on my '54 Special so I haven't put anytime into seeing if a smaller pulley would work out on the Riviera or not.

Hi,

I have a '98 Riviera with a few different SC pullies. Yes, the belts are routed slightly differently than a GTP (Grand Prix) but it won't interfere with the motor mount. The stock pulley is 3.8 inches. I recommend not going smaller than a 3.5 if you don't have any other mods to support the smaller pulley. Once you get smaller than a 3.4 pulley you'll need a shorter belt.

Check out http://www.rivperformance.com/ too.

Let me know if you have any other questions...
    -Derek Cunningham

I have a 3.5 pulley on a 1999 Riviera. I gutted the air box and swiss cheesed the bottom on the air box and it runs great.
    "Try to be the person your dog THINKS you are."

Late model engines

I have a question. We are putting a Mega Squirt ecu on a 1950 Buick straight eight that has a gmc 4-71 blower on it, we are going to use the ecu for datalogging only, not controlling anything on the engine. We will mount the ecu in the cockpit and we can't run the boost line to the ecu in the car for safety reasons. I have been told that the 3.8 L Buick with super charger uses a remote MAP sensor that mounts under the hood and then wired to the ecu, Is this correct?

8. Yes it is correct.

86 T-TYPE (DARK BLUE METALLIC),
    87 TURBO T (GREY METALLIC),
    87 GRAND NATIONAL (CANADIAN MODEL),
    87 CENTURY LIMITED 2.8 HO (MY FAITHFUL LITTLE DRIVER)
    98 REGAL GS (THE OTHER BLOWN BUICK)
    95 PONTIAC TRANS AM (6-SPEED, 3.42 REAR)
    06 DODGE CHARGER R/T (WIFES VEHICLE)

http://community.webshots.com/user/vicious6

I use a pulley from a Grand Prix...it slightly smaller.....makes a couple extra pounds, but it REALLY makes the blower louder all the time, (I just love that!! ;>) )
    There are a couple of sites that might be useful:
    www.buickpartsguru.com
    www.thrashercharged.com (this is a good one!)

I also googled "3800 supercharged" and came up with a boat-load of information...
    Hope this helps!!
    RixGS
    Rick K.

98 Regal GS
    "The Daily Wheezer!"
    (I'd rather be BLOWN that juiced!!)

91 Caprice LTZ
    (200K miles and runnin'strong!)

ZZ-4 powered '79 Z-28
    (The Killer Tomato!! )

'79 Trans Am
    (32K miles...named "Sir Viver")

As far as i know, a friend of mine has a 2000 buick gs, super charged 3800 series 2 and got a used one off a bonniville that was wrecked and had the smaller pulley installed on it...