- Buick Compound Carburetion
- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Adjustment
- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump

Thread: 64 Chevelle/ Skylark tank differences?

64 Chevelle/ Skylark tank differences?

Can a 64 Chevelle fuel tank be installed in a Skylark the same year? I assume since they're A-Bodies they should be the same but know there's lots of little differences and wanted to see if that is one of them. Any help is appreciated!

Tank Swap

If you look up the two different gas tanks on Spectra's web site you will get the dimensions. I looked them up and both have the same dimensions except the chevelle filler neck is 6 1/4" and the Buick is 7 5/8". My instinct says you shouldn't have any problems bolting it in (except the neck size) so yes it should function, but if you plan on white gloving your car, then the correct tank is $194. Unfortunately small problems to have a way of appearing.
    Put An LS1 in it and go!

Thanks Elektra! I am definitely not white-gloving it! I am ordering it with the pump in-tank to feed an LS2. You solved my little dilemma and now I'm placing the order.

Great to hear someone else has a Buick with an LS motor in it. I had the same problem when I built my 64 special but I ended up using the stock tank sumping it and dropping a complete fuel sending unit from a truck into it. Word for the wise, when I built my LS '78 I had used a fuel tank set-up without baffles and upon tight turning it used to gasp air and run out of fuel. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Good Luck
    Put An LS1 in it and go!

Good point! Thanks for the tip. I plan to log some miles auto-crossing so that's a major concern.

I'll start PMing you questions to keep this thread from going on forever.

I'm installing a saddle tank in the Lesabre.. it's a 17 or 18 gal tank outta a chev pickup (it had twin gas tanks).
    it fits perfectly behind the stock tank - shotens the trunk by a foot (one less family member you can fit in the trunk).

I got a filler cap and body section from a 64 leSabre out in Oklahoma (Wheatbelt Buicks), so Ill have to pull up to both sides at the gas pumps.. That's OK, I figger 500-600 miles on a fillup (with the little 300).

I hope to make a cross country trip in it this September;
    Virginia to Calif on Ol 66, up to Oregon and back on I-80. probably take the whole month

Butch

in tank pump

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    Can a 64 Chevelle fuel tank be installed in a Skylark the same year? I assume since they're A-Bodies they should be the same but know there's lots of little differences and wanted to see if that is one of them. Any help is appreciated!
    just got my tank from spectra nice pc. installing today i have 64 skylark with 5.7 tpi been running external pump (walbro) worked ok til temps got 90 ambient or so then it vapor locked this will solve that problem good luck with your project