- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump

Thread: Rust in the tank.....ugggh

Rust in the tank.....ugggh

Has anyone run into the problem (if you haven't I'm not sure you have an old car) of rust in the gas tank? Noticed the rust when I installed a new fuel filter with an external glass case. Has anyone used a product in the gas tank that would seal the rust to the tank? If so what was the product and did it work? Is this a quick fix or does it last for a long time?

Thanks.

Scott

Rusty Gas Tank

I ran into this problem with my '58 Buick Special,this summer. I used a product from The Eastwood Company. It does involve several steps after removing the gas tank, but so far seems to be holding up well, only time will tell for the long haul.
    I will say I used a similar process, called Kreme, on the gas tank of my '81 Honda about 10 yrs ago and it's still holding.

Im having this problem right now with my 53 Special.
    i ordered KBS coatings fuel tank repairt kit. they have videos on thier web site.

The best thing to do would be to a get a new tank; look for a reproduction, new fuel cell, or retro-fit one from another model. If the tank is in not to bad a shape.. Second, disassemble the tank and take it to a Radiator Shop and have it dipped and cleaned; some shops even do the coating for you. If the rust is real bad, you are going to have to weld patches on the tank; a job best left to someone who knows what they are doing unless you want to end up with an exploding tank If you go with restoring your original rusty tank, make sure you put in a new fuel filter before the fuel pump; in my experience the recoating step still resulted in residual contaminants, so I recommend getting a new tank if possible.

Rusty gas tank repair

If you want to keep the original tank check out Dripeze Gas Tank Restoration. I sent my 1964 Lincoln tank to the facility in Knoxville, Iowa and it looked great when it returned. It had pinholes in the 2 bottom corners and light rust speckles inside. The rust in the pinholes was the only thing holding the gas in. So it could have been a bad situation if had given out when we were gone from home for a while. If you are in the Midwest send it by Spee-Dee Delivery Service, it was much less cost than any other options for such a bulky item.

Rust in the tank.....ugggh

For a cheap and effective fix, assuming your tank is structurally sound, remove the tank and put a gallon or two of soapy water, or degreaser, then jam a bunch of ice cubes in it and shake it around. the ice will help nock loose particles of rust and other gunk that wouldn't come loose with just degreaser, but will of course dissolve. rinse with hot water then rinse with gas. I have used the ice method a few times with great results. Put a fuel filter before your pump as others have suggested, and change it often.

Also your factory metal gas lines are probably gunned and rusted up. Either replace completely or blow carb cleaner through them with compressed air (with a rubber hose on the other end going into a closed bucket). You'll probably be shocked at home much comes out of just the lines.