- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1963 Buick Wildcat Problem Starting Need help

Hello again, I still haven't tried anything yet since I last wrote. It has been too cold lately and had a lot of overtime on my job. today was a little workable so I just went to check out where is the resistance wire.

I took a couple of pictures of the engine about 12 pics. what c
    olor is the resistance wire? where is it located? there was a black Wire disconnected and the wire leads to a small block box on the passager side. a white wire is also disconnected and leads to the driver side. I am not sure what they do as well. let me know what you guys think. thanks a million for all the help.

What engine is that; a two bbl carb; a 300?

have you checked for spark at the points?

have you made sure the points are opening?

do you have a voltmeter?

if it turns over, the wiring to the starter is OK - that's the purple wire from the ignition switch.

are you getting 12V to the + side of the coil?

it's raining and dark right now, I will go out tomorrow and take some pics
    of the engine compartment of my 64 Wildcat - it's a 445.

How long did you say that thing was last running?

You're pretty good at posting pics (I don't know how to do that).

step back and take a pic of the whole engine compartment, maybe one of us can walk you through a check off list
    Butch

I followed the dark purple resistor wire from the top end and that just leads me to a whole bunch of wires plugged on the driver side firewall. the other end leads me to the bottom of the car, which i discovered that the wire was cut and replaced with a blue wire about 2 to 3 inches long and then goes back to the purple wire.

this wire is connected below the car which looks like almost a gray soda can size cylinder but I don't know what it is. It has a very small bolt holding the wire to the cylinder.

tried to start car but it just spins weak for about one or half a spin and then stops. It doesn't last even 2 second. I am not sure but it feel like i am missing power or something. .

I don't have a Volt meter and this is a 4 barrel 445, I just have a two barrel put on there for now. I will take more pics soon. I was also wondering what is the name metal part next to the driver side fire wall on picture #23 and what does that do?

I don't feel any heat on the coil.

Very sorry for all these questions, I am new and young at this but i will get this baby started and drive it around since the weather is getting much better for everyone and I am going to have a week off from work I think.. so I can start to fix and start the car up. I will keep you posted on what is going on..

First ensure your battery is fully charged, and your positive and negative cables are in good condition.
    2nd look at a wiring diagram for your car, it is pretty easy to follow.
    http://www.tocmp.com/tOCMP/wiring/57...buickindex.htm

The dark purple wire you are referring to is the Wire that comes from the starter (gray soda can sized cylinder) and goes to the main fuse block for the car.
    The black wire from your coil should go to the ignition.
    In picture 23 the block you are referring to is the Horn Relay and main junction block.
    In your photos, it looks like someone has spliced into your Wiper motor and done some amateur electrical work. Not a bad idea to look at all the wiring, (to make sure you don't burn the car down)
    Good luck with it and don't be afraid to ask questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scampy View Post
    I followed the dark purple resistor wire from the top end and that just leads me to a whole bunch of wires plugged on the driver side firewall. the other end leads me to the bottom of the car, which i discovered that the wire was cut and replaced with a blue wire about 2 to 3 inches long and then goes back to the purple wire.

this wire is connected below the car which looks like almost a gray soda can size cylinder but I don't know what it is. It has a very small bolt holding the wire to the cylinder.

tried to start car but it just spins weak for about one or half a spin and then stops. It doesn't last even 2 second. I am not sure but it feel like i am missing power or something. .

I don't have a Volt meter and this is a 4 barrel 445, I just have a two barrel put on there for now. I will take more pics soon. I was also wondering what is the name metal part next to the driver side fire wall on picture #23 and what does that do?

I don't feel any heat on the coil.

Very sorry for all these questions, I am new and young at this but i will get this baby started and drive it around since the weather is getting much better for everyone and I am going to have a week off from work I think.. so I can start to fix and start the car up. I will keep you posted on what is going on..

wow, still having probs huh....

try jumping the starter by running a jumper cable down to the + post on that "soda can" it's the starter solonoid.
    listen to hear if the solonoid engages forcefully.

as 455 said, methinks you should trace ALL the wiring; there might be a bare spot that is groundinng a hot wire.

spend the $9 and git a cheap voltmeter. save us all some speculating.

looks like that ol 445 been in mothballs for awhile.
    first thing i do when tackling a "new" project engine is cover the distributor and carb and powerwash the sucker.

everybody feels better after a bath
    Butch

try

try runnin a wire from batt pos to the pos side of coil. and a wire from neg bat to neg coil. crank and see if you get spark.
    also double check that the wire from the cap to the coil is touching the the connecter in the coil properly. if it doesnt connect well it wont spark

just checking to see if Scampy got the ol 445 running...

I did a bit of work on the Wildcat yesterday, when I went to fire it up, shegave er a few whirles and refused to turn over anymore - the battery read 75% - THAT's not enough to fire up the 445 when it's cold.

Scampy, check your battery terminals to make sure there no corrosion between the posts and terminal connector (a simple thing, but very important) - she needs all the voltage the battery can put out.

I also had a loose connection at the positive post on the coil - fired but erratic.. put new connectors on those wires. there should be the two wires going to the + post on the coil; the hot coming from the ignition and
    the one from the capacitor.

the one on the - post that goes to the distributor.

also check to see if the block is grounded (by straps) to the firewall.

the ignition switch needs to be grounded, via the metal plate, to the body behind the dash.

dunno how much you have dug into the wiring, but you can bypass everything in the dash using a couple jumpers.

I fired up the 455 sitting on a trailer with only the water pump running; a hanging (IV) gas tank and a battery.
    took about ten feet of wire and a few twist lugs. THAT sucker takes a fully charged battery (I kept the charger on the battery).

I'm not having any luck posting pics.

oh yea, you might want to replace the capacitor on the voltage regulator (pic 11) - it looks pretty bad.

keep us posted
    Butch

scampy

you do not have a 455 in the car its a 401 nail head , 63 did not come with 455 , dont let the air cleaner fool you eather 445 , thats foot pounds tork .I have a 1964 225 and i have traced the wiring down on mine too ,the purple wire feeds to the fuse panel then to the key switch

Diesel
    my 455 came outta a 73 Skylark - I have been dressing it up, intended to drop it into my 64 LeSabre which has the 300ci (Wildcat 310 on the breather)

my 64 Wildcat has a 445 (425ci)... yea, I know it's the ftlbs of torque

Scampy's engine is a 445 (425ci)
    Butch

Thanks guys, I will try that. The thing I am thinking is now I have to get a new battery to test start the car. what you guys said about having a fully charged battery for this car or else it won't start, that's got me thinking.

I was wondering should I test start the car out with a new battery or borrow a battery charger? which is better?

Wildkitty : I Tried checking in autozone for the capacitor but couldn't find anything for a 1963 wildcat. The battery I been using to try and start the wildcat is for a 1972 Plymouth scamp, maybe the problem is not enough power like you said, what do you think? I would get a new battery for the wildcat but I don't want to cross the battery and damage it. As for the purple wire, it was spliced in two but repaired. I took the old tape off and re taped it.