- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump

Thread: Carter vs rochester?????

Carter vs rochester?????

Hi folks! My 1955 Century with 322 engine and 4-barrel intake manifold is running a rochester 4-jet carb. Engine has been totally rebuilt, so has distributor and the carb. Problem is engine doesn´t idle smoothly and hesitates sometimes when moving from idle. Carb has been rebuilt by a pro with all new parts available. Now,these engines could have either the Rochester 4-jet or Carter carbs. Does anyone know which was better? With better I mean which ran smoother and was known to cause less driveability problems?
    Soulbrother

Carter vs Rochester

Generally, the Rochester seems to be most popular of the two. Is there an adjustment on the accelertor pump? Some of the carbs had three holes for setting the stroke of the accelerator pump. It sure sounds like the acceleration circuit should be examined.

One other thought, has the distributor been thoroughly checked? Sometimes the vacuum advance gives out, which will give the same symptoms as you describe.

On my Rochester there´s no adjustment for the acceleration pump. The vaccum advance on the distributor is new and has been tested so I still believe it´s something with the carb.
    My thought was to find a good Carter carb and see if it runs better but if no one can say the Carter carbs generally run smoother and better I will continue experimenting with the Rochester.
    Soulbrother

Carter vs Rochester

Sometimes the vacuum line to the vacuum advance gets plugged. Just for old times sake, please disconnect it at both ends and give it a good blow out.
    Thank you for pleasing an old man!

Quote Originally Posted by soulbrother View Post
    Hi folks! My 1955 Century with 322 engine and 4-barrel intake manifold is running a rochester 4-jet carb. Engine has been totally rebuilt, so has distributor and the carb. Problem is engine doesn´t idle smoothly and hesitates sometimes when moving from idle. Carb has been rebuilt by a pro with all new parts available. Now,these engines could have either the Rochester 4-jet or Carter carbs. Does anyone know which was better? With better I mean which ran smoother and was known to cause less driveability problems?
    In my experience the Carter 2197 is a much better carb on my 55 nailheads (4) than the Rochester 4GC. I can rebuild the Rochester and it will perform flawlessly until it sits long enough to dry out then it will idle poorly, hesitate...the idle screws have no effect. The Carters are easier to set up and are more forgiving after inactivity. I don't mind working on my cars, but I would rather be driving them.
    Also (on the Rochester) gasoline with ethanol will attack the original cement on the bowl plugs causing them to leak or fall out causing fires.
    "What is the difference between a Rochester 4GC and an Onion?....Nobody cries when you cut up the Rochester."
    Willie