- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump

Thread: Fuel Pressure

Fuel Pressure

How much fuel pressure would a stock 401 buick nailhead have? Im putting a edelbrock 750 on and it says they like 6psi. Im build a hot rod so i have a different gas tank and line. I dont know if this changes anything. I was just wondering if i will have to have a regulator. Anyone have any imput?
    1930 ford 5 window coupe (401 Buick Nailhead)
    t5 trans

1963 Buick Riviera (425 Nailhead)

The stock fuel pump on the Nailhead should be all that is required for the carb you are planning to run. The Edelbrock carb is just a modern copy of the old Carter AFB that was used from the factory on some of these cars. 5 to 6 lbs is what almost all modern 4 barrell carbs are made to operate at. This is something that shouldn't give you too much trouble. Use at least a 3/8" metal line for an engine of this displacement. Only use rubber to connect the tank to the line and the line to the pump. I'd put an inline filter between the line and the pump. Don't put it after the pump, filter out the junk before it goes through the pump. Use quality tube bending equipment and don't add a bunch of unecessary bends in the line. Probably should have some sort of vented gas cap for best results. Remember that it's easier for the pump to push fuel than to pull it when you are setting up the fuel line route. A lot of low fuel pressure problems are not related to the pump itself but other links in the supply chain. Good luck.

That is exactly what i have, 3/8" line and all those other things. Thanks alot for your imput. It should work fine then. The only reason i was worried was i had an old carter on there that came with the motor and i thought i would just see what it would do and it flooded out. I figured it was just the floats stuck but then i thought maybe i got too much fuel, but you said thats not the case so thank you. I should get this carb put on soon and see what happens.
    Last edited by 30coupe1; 07-15-2009 at 06:08 AM.
    1930 ford 5 window coupe (401 Buick Nailhead)
    t5 trans

1963 Buick Riviera (425 Nailhead)