- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brakes locked up. Any ideas?

brakes locked up. Any ideas?

Just got home from a local carshow with the 63' Riviera and about half way home noticed the brake pedal getting very hard. I could feel the brakes sticking the rest of the way home. I parked the car in the driveway while I opened the garage, and when I went to pull it into the garage it got really bad. the brake pedal was rock hard and the brakes were very stuck. I had to really give it gas just to force it into the garage. It was dark already and I have crappy lighting in the garage so I haven't had a chance to investigate yet. Anyone have any idea what it might be off the top of your heads? The car has a brand new master cylinder, brake shoes, and wheel cylinders as of last year. The car sat all winter but was full on brake fluid as of last week. Like I said haven't had a chance to look under the hood because the dark, but this kinda bugs me. Any help is greatly appreciated. Matt
    Last edited by 30coupe1; 04-22-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Master Tech

Replace your brake booster. I am a master auto technician for 35 yrs, specializing in brakes and front end. State certified class "A" Brake Inspector since 1969. I know what I'm talking about.

It could also be the master cylinder pushrod that's a wee too long. That's where I would start. If I remember correctly the pushrod is adjustable. Back it off one turn & see what happens. This is very easy as the masters line doesn't have to be disconnected. Just pull it back with the line attached.

You didn't mention if you had replaced the flex lines from the chassis to the front wheels/rear axle. If they're original they may be swelling inside and preventing the fluid from returning to the master cylinder.

master Tech

You guys have got to be kidding!! If you have a hard pedal that means no vacuum assist. The booster is leaking internally which is pushing the rod into the master causing the lock up. None of the senarios you mentioned will cause a hard pedal. Sure if the push rod is too long it will cause a drag or lock up, but not a hard pedal.

Whats the best way to test that booster? I thought it had something to do with vaccum myself. Where can i get a new booster?

Master Tech

You can try autozone,pepboys or a brake supply company for the best prices. For your car it may be more difficult. I will check around. It works off the vacuum from your intake manifold. If you follow the hose from the booster it will connect at the base of your carb or intake manifold.
    I found a booster at http://www.gmobsolete.com/results.php
    It's at the top of the list, you can't miss it. $225.00 and requires core in advance. Check your local parts houses and brake supply places first for the best price. The fact that you have a hard pedal means it's not holding vacuum on the right side of the diaphram.

Or, the pushrod is too long. Even if it's not the problem it doesn't cost anything to try & would take, at most, 15 minutes. I have run into the problem before after being "In the business" for about 50 years.
    Just my thoughts.

Master Tech

If the pushrod was too long, it would have locked up the brakes the first time it was installed, not months or years later. Just my thoughts! How long have you had the car? When was the last time you installed a brake booster on it? If you didn't just put it on, it's not the pushrod.

he did say he just replaced the master cylinder. I had the pushrod problem on a Suzuki Samurai years ago when I changed the master.