- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water pump and what else?

Water pump and what else?

I recently picked up a 66 Riviera GS 75K miles and the water pump is leaking so i am going to swap the water pump and gasket. While in the area i am going to change the belts should look at changing anything else while it is apart?

I was thinking the timing belt and timing cover gasket but not sure if that should be left to profesional as i don't want to mess up the timing.

Some additional information the engine was swapped out, it should of been a 425ci but someone put a 401ci.

water pump

My water pump went out today on my 61 Lesabre. Let me know what all you do.

As a means of preventive maintenance I would replace the thermostat also. I only use "The Flying Dutchman" for all of my unusual water pump replacements/rebuilds. So far in 10+ years I haven't had a return at my shop. Not the least expensive but certainly the BEST!!!!
    The engine does NOT have a timing belt, but a timing chain. If you really want to get **** about it they can be replaced at every tune-up as the amount of torque the ole "Nail" produces the chain stretches quite a bit. They do last 100K miles plus before they usually give any problems.

Tom T.

Unless you are having problems, I suggest just changing the water pump and belts. Check the radiator and heater hoses and replace if they are suspect.You can check for timing belt slop, but I have never been very confident in doing this, so will not offer any advice. To change the timing set, you would have to disturb a lot of stuff, the vibration damper requires 200 to 220 foot pounds of torque. Do you have access to this capacity torque wrench? The front crank seal can be an issue. No oil leaks? Leave it alone. Working on old cars is like working on old plumbing. You think you are going to replace a faucet washer and by the time you are done, you are back to the water meter. Fix it, enjoy it for the summer and make a list for next winter.

thanks for the advise, i will just deal with the water pump, gasket, belts and thermostat.
    Last edited by Dre; 04-21-2009 at 04:42 AM.

Telriv, i did contact Flying Dutchmen but he just had foot surgery and won't be able to do anything for 4 weeks.

Anyone use A1-Cardone remanufacture water pumps? any issues?
    1966 Buick Rivera GS

Dre, appreciate the picture of your Riv. Nice. A detail came to mind on the water pump: Nailheads used 2 ""pins" to locate the pump to the timing cover in addition to the bolts. If these happen to be missing you may think you have a couple of stripped holes in the cover when you actaully do not. Where is the Flying Dutchman located and how do you reach him? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mottrodder View Post
    Dre, appreciate the picture of your Riv. Nice. A detail came to mind on the water pump: Nailheads used 2 ""pins" to locate the pump to the timing cover in addition to the bolts. If these happen to be missing you may think you have a couple of stripped holes in the cover when you actaully do not. Where is the Flying Dutchman located and how do you reach him? Thanks
    mottrodder, thanks for the information on the water pump. I will keep that in mind when changing the water pump, it will save me heart ache later on when i dont' see 2 bolts. lol.

His website is: http://www.fdrbp.com/

contact info: Tony Coenradi, 200 Davis Creek Road, Selma, OR 97538 USA

email: tony@fdrbp.com

Per his website he want to retire and sell the business looks like an end of Flying Dutchmen water pumps.
    Last edited by Dre; 04-21-2009 at 05:26 AM.

You need to be careful when purchasing rebuilt water pumps. The rebuilder will sometimes "clean up" the impeller blades by grinding them down. This creates a clearance problem and the impeller will just cavitate in the water and not move it. Spend the few extra bucks and by a new one. Flow Kooler shows a part number for the 410/425 nailheads. There are pumps for a/c and non a/c applications; the former has more blades than the latter.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by nailheadnut View Post
    You need to be careful when purchasing rebuilt water pumps. The rebuilder will sometimes "clean up" the impeller blades by grinding them down. This creates a clearance problem and the impeller will just cavitate in the water and not move it. Spend the few extra bucks and by a new one. Flow Kooler shows a part number for the 410/425 nailheads. There are pumps for a/c and non a/c applications; the former has more blades than the latter.

Ed
    I thought about picking up a newer water pump but will have to check prices as i was only looking for rebuilt. The Riviera doesn't have AC which i found wierd for being luxury/muscle car.