- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Engine Question

Engine Question

I have a 57 Special. I think it has a 364 in it. I want to restore the car but customize it a little. When done, I plan on driving this car, allot. Are these engine reliable? Can they produce lots of horsepower?
    Just trying to get all the info I can before starting this project. Here are a few pics.
    Thanks......
    Last edited by lew11998; 03-23-2009 at 05:24 PM.

I have found the Buick nailhead engines to be very reliable and would stay with it rather than switch to a Chevrolet crate 350 as that will drive down the value.

That will be a nice ride when finished. I think it has a low-rider look to it even when stock and that can be enhanced with a little effort.

If the transmission is a Dynaflow that is also bullet proof and I find they are very nice for keeping up with modern traffic if you drop it into low when starting out then shift up into drive. (At least my 1955 needs this as it normally starts off in drive.)
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Nice project you've got there! My daily driver (at least in the summer months) is a '57 Special post coupe, exactly what you just picked up. Unfortunately one of the previous owners pulled out the 364 and dropped in a Chevy 305 (probably robbed the Nailhead for a hotrod project). I'm negotiating a price on a 425 Nailhead right now, that will hopefully be sitting comfortably in the engine bay by next year.
    I've never heard a bad word uttered about the Nailheads, and they are known for their stump-pulling low end torque. I've even spoken to some old timers that preferred the Nailheads over the later 430/455 engines.

Personally I don't care for the dynaflow.......I like more gears, but they are a bulletproof transmission, and there is nothing wrong with keeping the stock drivetrain when possible.

When the snow clears (I live in Maine), I'm going to check out a couple of '57 Special hardtops. Not sure how complete each one is, but if you find yourself in need of any parts, trim, etc., don't hesitate to send me an email, as I'll probably be parting at least one of them out.

Good luck with your Buick!

57 special

If you could get your hands on a 322, that has a little more guts to it. You can even put a 4 barrel carburetor on it. Nice lookin ride. I believe 57 was the first ball joint front end, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Buick Roadmaster
    Model 76S
    Anthony
    aka Straight80

Unfortunately you are right Stright80, a set of upper and lower ball joints on a '57 Buick will set you back $1,200.......not a typo.

a set of upper and lower ball joints on a '57 Buick will set you back $1,200.......not a typo.

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh.

can you say "tubular control arm front end"?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)