- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pertronix?

Pertronix?

I have a 63 401 nailhead and was thinking about a pertronix. Is this a good idea? Has anyone had trouble with them or are they great?

Quote Originally Posted by 30coupe1 View Post
    I have a 63 401 nailhead and was thinking about a pertronix. Is this a good idea? Has anyone had trouble with them or are they great?
    My 401 has about 3 years a MSD Pro billet and have to say,its really,really good.No matter if you drive in heavy rain with out hood and fenders.It still going strong.Last summer we drove in Germany highway and there was H A R D rain,whole autobahn stopped,because you didnt see nothing.But not any problems with distribution.Use few bucks more if you can,and buy it.
    The Hudson is my daily driver and last summer we did about 3000 mile journey all over the Europe without any problems.
    Last edited by hudroadster; 11-17-2008 at 01:52 PM.

You will probably hear from people that like them, but I have had problems with two different Buicks (a 455 and a 401) and they ran better when I removed the pertronix.
    Joe T
    37Buick coupe /455 powered
    40 Super convert
    72 GS455 convert 13.0/105
    69 Buick Sportwagon
    92 Road,aster wagon
    04 Rendezvous

So you think the stock distributor is the way to go?

I use a MSD box with points in my 455 Buick (which I drag race occasionally) and just points in all my other Buicks. If you check the gap, and grease the lobes , the points will last a loooong time. I have replaced the points in my 40 twice in 100,000 miles and they are still going strong.
    Joe T
    37Buick coupe /455 powered
    40 Super convert
    72 GS455 convert 13.0/105
    69 Buick Sportwagon
    92 Road,aster wagon
    04 Rendezvous

I use MSD 6AL box with that MSD distributor,this combination gave in dyno only few horsepowers more than stock,but its not a point.I feel that MSD combination give better idle,easy startings,fuel economy(if does matter),runs better when you put pedal to metal.But best thing is,i havent done any tune-ups after dyno,and it was three years ago/about 17000 miles.I think its very stressless part of engine.Just start and drive.
    Cap and rotor are still in good condition.But i will change them soon anyway.
    Last edited by hudroadster; 11-18-2008 at 08:08 AM.

6AL has a rev limit too? I just dont know if i want to spend the money on the msd stuff. I know its good but just thought i would try the pertronix

Quote Originally Posted by 30coupe1 View Post
    6AL has a rev limit too? I just dont know if i want to spend the money on the msd stuff. I know its good but just thought i would try the pertronix

Ok,let me know what is your experiences from Petros

Have no issues with Petrnx....has been in my 64 Conv for a year.
    Kept all the original parts so I can convert to original (if need be)
    It installs easily...just make sure your within the clearances with feeler gauge...I also installed their coil too....Im a happy customer...
    Hope this helps with your decision
    Mark
    TSF

Pertronix

You cant beat an electronic conversion over stock points. There are many-a-folk that run and maintain their points for thousands of miles and prefer them, but they DO wear. I considered the Pertronix and then changed my mind to to the MSD-6AL because of the rev limiter feature, and then eventualy decided on the Crane XR-1 because it is less expensive, does the same thing, and has the rev limiter built into it, and I can always add a MSD box later.

More importantly- send your distributor to have it re-curved and reconditioned. That, alone is worth picking up a few horsies.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Erik
    See dyno break-in run here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIKyzct4Sc
    See first dyno pull after overhaul here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGYfCwEvO8

86 LX Police Interceptor (SS) 5.0 Mustang
    (wifes drag car)