- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: mufflers?

Question mufflers?

Just rebuilt 64 425 Rivi and put TA Performance headers on it, it currently has some old cherry bombs on it. My ? is what to put on it. It's been suggested I put Flomasters under the front floorboard and run pipe out the back but I'm not sure if I want all that noise,I just want a good sound.

Thanks,goat

64 RIVI

Porter steel pack mufflers---nice sound--Babler automotive, Mound MN

damn that 63 rivi sounds great its gotta be duels Ever heard them on a single pipe
    1962 Lesabre 4 door seadan
    2007 honda element (at least its american made by UAW workers in East Liberty OH)
    09 Chevy AVEO (100% percent korean assembled, 70% korean parts, 1% usa and canada parts,) Which one is the domestic again i am confused?

I dont believe in mufflers.

A chambered exhaust would sound cool... Nailheads in general sound great. Possibilitites are endless.

I used flow masters on my 63 Ford 406 and it sounds great, not too loud at all.

One thing to think about is heat from the mufflers. My Ford had the mufflers way in the rear but they put them under the rear seat area and it gets real warm on the seat.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Walker Dynomax I believe was an OEM supplier to GM. Flowmasters have way too much noise and drone between 40 to 60 mph. I beleive some tests show the Dynomax flow better without the drone. To improve it more use an X pipe.

Personally, I would go with Magnaflow or Flowmaster mufflers. The exhaust shop I work at sells more of these than anything. If you put a resonator (glasspack) in in front of your muffler, it will dampen the sound some. It is something you may have to experiment with until you like the sound. Anyhow, good luck to you!

-Johnny B.

-=1956 BUICK SPECIAL=-
    -1969 GMC 1500-

I like glass packs personally. I am throwing a blue streak on mine in about a week. My father in law gave it to me from his old ride.

I bought the TA mandrel bent exhaust system for my 65 Riv w/stock manifolds. It came with Dynomax Super Turbo's and it sounds beautiful.
    The mufflers are under the front floor pans and are a little close to the ground.
    I had some Magnaflos on my Wildcat, big *** 30" long straight though oval case mufflers. They sounded bad, real loud and rappy @ WOT. Not on the car anymore! I prefer the Dynomax sound.
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em