- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 68 Buick leaks gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by JG68 View Post
    OK, good to know that's the fuel pump!(first time working on cars ever) and the leak comes from it when I turn the car on which more than likely I will just replace it.

I have another problem now, when the car is put into drive it shuts itself off and I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal to keep it going. Thoughts>??>
    The leak: It might be the pump or it might be one of the fittings that connects to the pump. Clean everything as best as possible and then try to track down the exact source: The pump itself? The metal fitting? The rubber hose? Once you've got it clean under there, it's a lot easier to track down (and tighten and/or replace) the offending part. But as others have already said, a fire extinguisher (or two) is a "must-have" in any vehicle and especially an older one, whether it's leaking or not.

Stalling: Does it only happen when the engines cold, or when it's warm as well? Although, with a fuel leak, hopefully you're not driving around with the engine warm
    Last edited by Special_Deluxe; 11-03-2008 at 06:59 PM.
    -Mike

1968 Special daily driver 285K "Roadmaster"

1969 Skylark 2dr 38K 99% original- gone but not forgotten

1992 Chev Lumina 3.4 project- just plain gone

and a '75 Ford Granada project for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Special_Deluxe View Post
    The leak: It might be the pump or it might be one of the fittings that connects to the pump. Clean everything as best as possible and then try to track down the exact source: The pump itself? The metal fitting? The rubber hose? Once you've got it clean under there, it's a lot easier to track down (and tighten and/or replace) the offending part. But as others have already said, a fire extinguisher (or two) is a "must-have" in any vehicle and especially an older one, whether it's leaking or not.

Stalling: Does it only happen when the engines cold, or when it's warm as well? Although, with a fuel leak, hopefully you're not driving around with the engine warm
    Yes, it happens when the car is running and it wants to turn itself off while it's in drive. I've been hearing a weird almost like a clank sound now for a couple weeks so I need to find out whats going on asap.

bump-wondering if I should just sell this lemon.

You call a 40-year old car a lemon?

If you aren't ready to deal with the occasional problem, then you ought to buy a new car. Replacing a fuel pump isn't a hard job, nor is replacing the worn lines. Yes, you'll need some tools and space to work, but it can be a very fun, reliable car.

Do you have someone that can offer you assistance for this type of work, if you aren't able to do it yourself?

-Bob C.

Perhaps this is a vacuum leak. Have you considered taking it to a local mechanic?