From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Camshaft?

New Camshaft?

I have a '65 Special-225 V-6 and I'm needing to locate a new Camshaft for it. Can anyone here help me out?

www.TAPerformance.com or www.PostonBuick.com

the 225 ci v6 is an odd-fire v6 that is almost identical to the first year production of the 231ci v6 in 78(?). after the first year or so of 231 production though, Buick split the crank throws to even the firing impulses out so no cam for an even-fire Buick v6 is going to work for you.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

That's what I've heard. I am having difficulty in finding a stock cam that isn't used, resulting in the same issue down the road. Is there an aftermarket cam that would work? Is it worth having this cam re-machined? Can I drop a 350 in it and at what cost? Thanks in advance for your help.

Is there an aftermarket cam that would work?

if there is, TA or Poston would stock it.

otherwise, call Comp or Crane and see if they can cross reference it.

Is it worth having this cam re-machined?

i don't think i'd do that. you normally want to increase the base circle, not make it smaller. and you'd have to replace all of your pushrods as well.

Can I drop a 350 in it and at what cost?

depends.

if you put in a Buick 350 it will be easy. the Buick v6's are based on the Small Block Buick v8 ( specifically, the 300ci medium deck version ). you can probably use the same engine mounts that are in the car right now although i would try to get the mounts with the 350. all the wiring and accessory mounts should be the same or very similiar. of course, you'd have to get a v8 tach.

if you put in a Chevy 350, that's a whole different ball of wax. a Chevy is a completely different animal than a Buick 350. and it weighs ~140lbs more to boot.

i'd rather put a mid-80s 231v6 turbo in the car than a SBC.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Poston's came through for me today, thanks Tony!
    New Cam, Lifters, Springs and Gaskets are on thier way. Thanks for your help Bob. I'll be monitoring this website on a regular basis and I'll post some pictures soon.

excellent!
    Vladimir Lenin

New Cam - Update and Need help!

New Poston Cam (SP110A) is in, along with new lifters and valve springs. Stopped by the shop today and talked with the mechanic to see what the hold up has been.
    The mechanic said that we have 2 problems:
    1. Distributor makes a clacking noise and can be felt by putting your hand on the vacuum advance. Distibutor is all the way in a resting comfortably on top of the timing cover area.

2. Not idling well and mechanic thinks it's the # 3 cylinder. Compression test was done and he said everything looked fine there. Plugs were slightly carboned but getting good spark. Not too long ago I replaced the plugs, wires, points and cap and rotor. What's up, could it be the new cam causing problems or what?
    Michael

'65 Buick Special Deluxe

I'm wondering if problem #1 and problem #2 are related. Does the distributor spin freely on the bench or does it still make the clacking? Could the distributer shaft be bent or otherwise restricted in some way?

I assume the mechanic pulled plug wires one at a time to isolate the malfunctioning cylinder. If the spark is good (and correctly timed) and compression is good the only missing ingrediants would be air and fuel. Vaccum leak maybe? Manifold gasket? Put a fresh spark plug in that cylinder and run it a while and see how it looks it might be a lean condition if there's a leak somewheres.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head. Best of luck and hope this helps!
    -Mike

1968 Special daily driver 285K "Roadmaster"

1969 Skylark 2dr 38K 99% original- gone but not forgotten

1992 Chev Lumina 3.4 project- just plain gone

and a '75 Ford Granada project for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Special_Deluxe View Post
    I'm wondering if problem #1 and problem #2 are related. Does the distributor spin freely on the bench or does it still make the clacking? Could the distributer shaft be bent or otherwise restricted in some way?

I assume the mechanic pulled plug wires one at a time to isolate the malfunctioning cylinder. If the spark is good (and correctly timed) and compression is good the only missing ingrediants would be air and fuel. Vaccum leak maybe? Manifold gasket? Put a fresh spark plug in that cylinder and run it a while and see how it looks it might be a lean condition if there's a leak somewheres.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head. Best of luck and hope this helps!
    New Upadate:
    Problem #1 is resolved, the distributor wasn't engaged with the oil pump shaft causing the noise. A new oil pump shaft was placed in and is working fine now. I'm not sure how this could have happened and I hope the mechanic didn't run it for very long when he heard this ticking...If the Distributor didn't engage the oil pump shaft then NO OIL was being pumped through the engine.

Problem # 2 is not resolved. It is not the #3 cylinder as his scanner showed, it ended up to be the #4 Cyl. Rough idle through about 2000 rpm then it ran smooth. Compression test on #4 showed only 50# not 130# like the others. Removed wires one at a time and everyone bogged down the motor until # 4 was pulled. Bad valve or what? What are your thoughts?
    Michael

'65 Buick Special Deluxe

How did the car run BEFORE the camshaft problems came about? If she ran smooth before at low speeds before, then the valves themselvs are most likely okay.

It's possible one of the new lifters isn't working as it should. Is there any vallvetrain noise that's louder than it should be? Try running the engine whilst sitting behind the wheel, sometimes it's easier to pick out a noise from there, rather than under the hood.

I would pull a valve cover off and see if there's any valve lash when the valve is closed, there really shouldn't be any at all. Also look at the springs, retainers, etc. Ask the mechanic if he did a cylinder leak-down test on the bad cylinder, that might help pinpoint the problem a bit.

My own 68 has picked up a "rap" on the top end and has been parked since Monday. I'll be doing pretty much the same tests over the weekend and keeping my fingers crossed

Best of luck and hope this helps.
    -Mike

1968 Special daily driver 285K "Roadmaster"

1969 Skylark 2dr 38K 99% original- gone but not forgotten

1992 Chev Lumina 3.4 project- just plain gone

and a '75 Ford Granada project for sale!